Guidelines for Appealing Out-of-State Residency Classification
The following documents should be submitted with a completed Petition for Colorado Residency and should cover the 12 months prior to the term for which you wish to be considered for in-state residency.
1. Physical Presence
- Copy of lease, warranty deed, tax receipt for the most recent year, rent receipts or a letter from your landlord. Documents must include the name of the person petitioning for in-state residency.
- Copies of pay stubs showing employer, employee, and dates of employment or a letter from the employer verifying employment dates.
2. Intent to Become a Colorado Resident
- Copy of most recent Colorado State Income Tax Return.
- Copy of Colorado Voter Registration.
- Copy of Colorado Driver’s License. If the current Colorado Driver’s License is a replacement issued in the last 6 months, a copy of your Colorado Driver’s License history should be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles and submitted in order to verify that you have held a Colorado Driver's License for at least one year.
- Copy of Colorado Automobile Registration.
3. Emancipation (if you are 22 years of age or younger at the start of term)
- Emancipation form signed and notarized by both parents.
- Copy of most recent Federal Income Tax Return from both parents showing that you are not being claimed as a dependent.
- Proof you have enough income to cover all expenses listed in the Petition for In-State Residency (W-2’s, pay stubs, statements from employers, etc.).
- If you use an automobile, it must be registered and insured in your name only. Other forms of parental support that are not allowed, include but are not limited to, medical insurance (unless you are paying the portion of the premium for your coverage or there is no additional premium cost), and regular monetary gifts including trust funds.
Establishing 'In-state' Status While a Student:
Yes, this can be done however the fact that you are a student, part-time or full-time, is not alone sufficient evidence to consider you an 'in-state' student. You must demonstrate your physical presence and intent before you can be considered 'in-state.'
Petition for Colorado In-State Residency Deadline
- Close of business on the first day of classes of the term for which you wish to be considered for in-state residency.