The art program is designed to increase understanding of art and its role in the larger society and at the same time develop skill in art making and critical analysis. Six overarching student learning outcomes shape the curriculum. A student who graduates from Fort Lewis College with a BA in Art should have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Analysis – Demonstrated ability to discuss, analyze, and evaluate contemporary and historical art with insight and understanding.
- Role in society – Demonstrated understanding of the diversity and complexity of art’s role in a global society.
- Critical reasoning – Demonstrated capacity to think critically about significant, challenging, or unfamiliar visual material.
- Visual communication – Demonstrated capacity to use a range of visual and conceptual approaches in the creation of effective visual communication.
- Problem solving – Demonstrated ability to design creative solutions to artistic and intellectual problems.
- Creative production – Demonstrated accomplishment in creative production.