Business Policies

Policy 11-16: Sale/Service of Non-Campus Dining Services Food

Issued: 11-2-05
Revised:  02-2011


FortLewis College's Campus Dining Services (CDS) are provided by the College's exclusive food service contractor.  The contractor holds exclusive rights to the sale and service of food in or on campus property.

This policy and procedure acknowledges the contractual obligations between the College and CDS and the occasional needs for the College's registered clubs, organizations, and departments to sell and serve non-CDS food on campus property.  This policy and procedure is a collaborative effort between the College and CDS to set out how non-CDS foods on campus property are sold or served.

The purpose of this policy is to provide procedures for requesting permission for the sale and service on non-CDS food and to promote safe food handling practices in selling or serving non-CDS food by non-CDS staff.  Federal, State, and local laws and regulations must always be followed to sell or serve any food on campus.


A.  Permission

All groups requesting to sell food items must request permission no later than two weeks prior to the planned sale.  College departments (e.g., Native American Center, El Centro, and Agriculture Department) that have recurring sales need to request this permission on a semester basis rather than on an individual sale basis.

B. Temperature Sensitive Food

Hot and cold food items needing to be held at specific safe temperatures for food safety are defined as temperature sensitive foods.  These food items usually contain meat and/or dairy products.

C.  Bake Sale Items

Bake sale items include baked goods prepared in commercial or non-commercial kitchens.

D. Procedure 

  • No later than two weeks prior to the planned sale, complete the form "Permission to Sell or Serve Non-Campus Dining Service Food", and submit to Facilities Scheduling Office, 164 SU.
  • For sale of temperature sensitive food at an event, at least one representative of the department or registered student organization must check out the resource information on safe food handling and preparation, review the information, and sign the form verifying that the information has been reviewed   At least one person who has reviewed the resource information must be present during the entire sale.  The start-to-end time of temperature sensitive food sale may not exceed two hours.


A.  Permission

Campus Dining Services has the exclusive right to serve food on campus with the following exceptions:

  • Events held at the Center of Southwest Studies (CSWS) that are directly related to the CSWS and initiated by the Director of the CSWS.
  • Events held at the Community Concert Hall.
  • The outdoor space adjacent to the CSWS and Community Concert Hall (CCH) is only exempt when used in conjunction with CSWS or CCH events.
  • Athletic Concessions.
  • Gathering of fewer than 20 people when College funds are not used (College funds are defined as any funds that have been deposited into College or Foundation accounts).

All other proposed service of non-CDS food must request permission no later than two weeks prior to the planned service.

B. Procedure 

  • No later than two weeks prior to event, complete the form "Permission to Sell or Serve Non-Campus Dining Service Food", and submit to Facilities Scheduling Office, 164 SU.  
  • Individuals bringing temperature-sensitive foods should ensure that safe food-handling techniques have been followed.


Violations may result in the loss of food sale privileges for up to one year, as determined by the Assistant Director of Facilities Scheduling, and/or (for Registered Student Organizations) referral to the College's judicial procedure, which could mean revocation of registered student organization status.

Previous  Next

FLC Facebook Page Twitter Feed YouTube Channel Pinterest Page Instagram Page More Social Media Sites