Is your computer ready for the Fort Lewis College network?
Fort Lewis College requires that all computers or devices connected to our network meet certain security standards. Ensuring that your computer meets these requirements before you get to campus will help you quickly gain access when you arrive.
Follow these three simple steps BEFORE you arrive on campus:
1. Get Operating System Updates:
|Visit update.microsoft.com and follow the instructions to update your computer with all the necessary security updates and improvements offered free by Microsoft. You will also notice a tool on this page to check that "Automatic Updates" are turned on. In some cases your computer may need to be rebooted several times for all updates to be installed. Once you see the message: "No high-priority updates for your computer are available" your computer is up to date.
||Macintosh users simply click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner and select Software Update to update your computer with all the necessary security updates and improvements offered by Apple. Download and install all available updates.
2. Set your Fort Lewis College network password:
- Go to www.fortlewis.edu/password.
- Your username has been assigned according to the name you submitted on your registration documents.
- It usually includes your first initial, middle initial, and last name (Ex: abjones).
- If you did not include a middle name when you registered, your username will be your first initial and last name.
- To find out your unique username, click on the “Don’t Know” button.
- You will need to enter your first and last name, along with your birth date and student ID number (see acceptance letter for your ID) or Social Security number.
- To set your password, type in your Username and click submit.
- When prompted for the password, select “Don’t Know”.
- Follow the prompts to setup a security question.
- Once complete, you will be directed to a page with a button to reset your password.
3. Get AntiVirus Protection:
Following are AntiVirus solutions accepted by Fort Lewis College.
- Microsoft Forefront Client Security is the preferred solution at FLC. Forefront offers an All-In-One (AntiVirus / AntiSpyware) solution in one package. Fort Lewis College offers Microsoft Forefront free to all students. Go to www.fortlewis.edu /antivirus for more information and to download.
- AVG can be downloaded for free from free.avg.com . Keep in mind that there are also paid versions of AVG that offer increased protection.
- Avera-AntiVir and Softwin-BitDefender are also free solutions available on the Internet.
- Norton AntiVirus - Any of the All-In-One or PC Security products offered by Symantec are acceptable
- McAfee - AntiVirus or Internet Security products are acceptable
- ClamXav for Mac is available at no charge to anyone. Go to www.clamxav.com/download.php for more information and to download.
- Sophos for Mac is free for home users. You can get more info at Sophos for Mac.
What's next for students living on campus?
When you arrive on campus, connect your computer to our network by either plugging in to a wired wall jack (with your own cable) or connecting to the wireless. Whenever possible, use the wired network as it is faster, more reliable, and more secure.
If you experience problems, contact the IT Call Center at 970-247-7444 or email AskIT@fortlewis.edu.