There are several items that must be completed to participate in Art 481 – Art Internship or Art 480 – Design Internship.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
Once all items have been completed and turned in you will receive permission to register for the class. All items must be completed, including required signatures, and submitted to the Sponsoring Professor for approval at least one week before the beginning of each semester.
Paul Booth is the sponsoring professor for both Art 480 – Design Internship, and Art 481 – Art Internship.
Key things to keep in mind
- Internship credit is variable from 1 – 6 credits.
- 1 credit = 50 hours of supervised internship time.
- Student must be a declared major or minor in the Department of Art & Design.
- This course is repeatable up to a maximum of 6 credits.
- Read about the Requirements. Please be familiar with this process and ask questions so that you can receive credit for your valuable internship experience.
- Find an Internship. You can research this on your own, receive recommendations from faculty, network to create leads, and utilize Career Services to find internship options.
- Apply - Fill out the Application Form. This begins the process and establishes a file for you. No commitments are made at this point; it is simply an intention to participate and apply for credit. You must receive approval from the Supervising Professor to register for credit.
- Position Description – The position description must be approved by the Sponsoring Professor and in your file before you will be approved for academic credit. Please print the Employer/Supervisor’s position description or create your own with this example Position Description. It must include the following:
- Organization’s Name/Address/Website
- Supervisor’s Name/Supervisor’s Phone/Supervisor’s Email/Supervisor’s Title
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Qualifications/Requirements/Preferred Skills
- Work Schedule/Hours
- Intern/Supervisor/Sponsoring Professor Signatures
- Learning Goals & Objectives with Outcomes – This is a comprehensive description of what you hope to gain from the experience. The learning objectives must link to your academic and/or career goals. *Minimum of three must be included to be accepted for credit.
- Resume & Cover Letter – Please include the resume and cover letter you used to apply for your internship. Contact Career Services if you need help with creating these documents.
- Submit these documents to the Sponsoring Professor: Items #3, #4, #5, & #6 one week prior to registration.
- Register for Credit. After you are approved the Sponsoring Professor will give you the information you need to register.
- Pay for Tuition. All regular course fees apply. Please contact Financial Aid or the Cashier’s Office for questions.
- Complete the Internship! Complete internship duties and coursework as outlined.
Questions? Contact the Art & Design Sponsoring Professors:
For Art 480 – Design Internships:
Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Art & Design
1000 Rim Drive
Durango, CO 81301
For Art 481 – Art Internships:
Professor, Department of Art & Design
1000 Rim Drive
Durango, CO 81301