The art and design program is designed to increase understanding of art and its role in the larger society and at the same time develop skill in art making and critical analysis. Five overarching student learning outcomes shape the curriculum. A student who graduates from Fort Lewis College with a BA in Art should have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Analysis – Insightfully analyze contemporary and historical art.
- Role in society – Understand and identify the diversity and complexity of art and design's role in a global society.
- Critical reasoning – Communicate about significant, challenging, or unfamiliar visual material through critical writing and discussion.
- Visual communication – Use both technical and conceptual approaches in the creation of effective visual communication.
- Creative problem solving – Design creative solutions to artistic and intellectual problems.