About the Art Gallery and Opportunity
The Art Gallery at Fort Lewis College invites local, regional, and national artists to apply for ambitious solo exhibitions. We focus on exhibiting artists and designers who challenge our assumptions, address issues of cultural, social, and political relevance, and expand the minds of those who engage with their work.
We encourage artists to consider the architecture of the space and create proposals unique to the Art Gallery. The Art Gallery has approximately 1100 square feet of display area, with a central cathedral space and two flanking alcoves.
Artists working in any medium and at any stage of their careers are eligible to apply. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, women, LGBTQIA2S+, and Four Corners region artists are strongly encouraged to apply. Please note that artwork that could easily be exhibited in a traditional or commercial gallery will most likely not be selected.
Opportunity and Expectations
- Fully utilize the 1100 square foot space for a month-long exhibition
- Work with the Gallery Director prior to arrival at FLC to ensure a successful exhibition
- Work with students to lay out and install exhibition
- Note: Selected artists will work with the students enrolled in the Gallery Management class. Students are there to assist and learn from the artist and artists should plan on working with them during and outside of class times.
- Participate in the Visiting Artist program’s lecture series by giving a talk that is open to the public in the lecture hall and recorded for further educational access
- Attend the opening reception
- $3000 Artist Stipend
- Up to $1000 in travel coverage (hotel, mileage, and/or flight reimbursement)
- Up to 20 hour installation support from Gallery Management students and the Gallery Director
- Professional documentation of completed exhibition
- Marketing and PR through social media and news outlets