Goals and Objectives
- Promote student and recent alumni ideas as well as new venture creation.
- Provide professional development opportunities to students and recent alumni through workshops as well as a mentorship program.
- Involve community and alumni stakeholders (e.g., as mentors, judges, sponsors, and supporters).
- Provide an opportunity for students and recent alumni to present new business plans to Durango (Four Corner) area venture capitalists, financial institutions, business leaders, etc.
Competition Participants for FLC Alumni and College Student Tracks (Eligibility Requirements)
- All FLC students.
- FLC and SOBA recent alumni (i.e., graduation Spring 2013 – Fall 2018).
- Teams up to 5 individuals.
- The team leader must be a FLC student or recent alumnus/alumnae.
Competitions Participants for High School Students
- Teams up to 3 high school students from the same high school
- Must be currently enrolled during the Spring 2019 Semester at that high school
- Been in business for less than 1 year
- No funding (e.g., venture capital, angel, small business loan) obtained prior to competition
- Original work
- At least one team member (i.e., team leader) needs to be a FLC student or alumni
- No marijuana industry related businesses
- Business plans in any industry will be acceptable for participation.
Developmental Resources for Participants
- Mentor Program
- Business plans 101
- Presenting your business idea
- Accounting for start-ups
- Competition analysis
Mentor Program Option
Each team leader will be provided the opportunity to participate in a structured mentorship program. Mentors will be selected based on proven entrepreneurial and business success. Please note, mentors can not be guaranteed.
FLC Advisory Committee
- Paul Clay (Associate Dean & Associate Professor - School of Business Administration)
- Ryan Smith (Associate Professor – Department of Physics and Engineering)
- Eric Prosser (FLC Campus Copyright Librarian)
- Lisa Campi Walters (Associate Professor - Music Department)
- Erik Juergensmeyer (Associate Professor - English)
- David Blake (Associate Professor - Biology)