Child Attendance, Arrival & Departure
When a child is ill or must be absent from school, parents/ guardians are requested to call the center by 8:30 a.m. When a child has extended absences without a reported reason, your family may lose their placement at the center.
Arrival – You must escort your child into the building and ensure they remain with you and follow school rules in your care. This includes “walking-feet,” quiet voices, and following parent directions. *Unless you are completing volunteer hours within the classroom, please recognize that some children transition best when parents do not extend their goodbyes or remain in the classroom for more than a few minutes.
Sign In / Sign Out your child:
A full signature of your name is required when signing in. The center is not responsible for a child who is not signed in, therefore for safety and legal purposes, you will be called to return and sign your child in. The reverse is true for signing out.
Departure – Only authorized providers may pick-up your child from care. No child will be released to an individual suspected to be under the influence of any intoxicating substance and #911 will be called.
Please do not bring your child to school when he/she is sick. Although we understand the pressure for you to be at work, we are responsible for the health and safety of all the children at the facility. Bringing a sick child to school is not only difficult for the child, but also places stress on the staff and may place the other children in an unsafe situation. We strictly adhere to our illness policy which is mandated by the State of Colorado Department of Health and Environment for continued operation of our facility. Our illness policy is also in accordance with the Children’s Hospital School Health Program Denver, Colorado 2005, and has been reviewed and approved by San Juan Basin Health’s epidemiologist December, 2010.
There are three reasons to keep (exclude) sick children out of child care or school:
- The child is not able to participate in usual activities. Child may be very tired, irritable or cry a lot.
- The child needs more individual care than the program staff can provide.
- The illness or symptoms are on the exclusion list.
Exclusion List: We will contact you for immediate pick-up of your child in the event of ANY of the following:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher accompanied by behavior changes or other signs or symptoms of illness.
- Vomiting 2 or more times during a one day period at the facility or 1 time accompanied by fever or recent head injury.
- Diarrhea 2 or more loose or watery stools during a one day period at the facility not caused by diet or medication, or 1 loose or watery stool not contained in the toilet by those children who are potty-trained, or 1 loose or watery stool accompanied by fever or vomiting.
- Coughing SEVERE uncontrolled coughing or wheezing and/or rapid or difficulty in breathing.
- Sore Throat SEVERE sore throat which interferes with swallowing, eating, and/or is accompanied by a fever.
- Nasal Discharge any color of nasal discharge in copious amounts not related to teething accompanied by fever or significant behavior changes.
- Eye Discharge any thick yellow, green, or white discharge in copious amounts and/or accompanied by pink color of eye.
- Scabies or Head lice any repeated or uncontrollable itching of the scalp or head.
- Mouth sores and blisters only if child does not have control of drooling.
- Rash only if child ALSO has fever or behavior changes and any rash that spreads very quickly and/or has open weeping wounds, or rash that is not healing.
CHILDREN MUST BE FREE OF ALL ABOVE SYMPTOMS FOR 24 HOURS
BEFORE RETURNING TO SCHOOL!!
If your child contracts an infectious disease, please call the center director so that other children in contact with your child may be notified of potential exposure. We will keep the name of your child confidential.
Please communicate with your child’s provider if your child has not been feeling well or has or had any of the above mentioned symptoms in the last 24 hours or at any time over the weekend. This does NOT mean your child will be excluded from attending, but it is a way to alert staff of potential needs your child may have for that particular day.
Medication Administration – As general policy, staff members are not trained or expected to administer medications to your child. If your child needs medication it is recommended that it be given prior to or after care. In limited circumstances, and with the approval of the center director, you may receive a physician’s note to have medications given to your child during the school day. Medications must remain in their prescription container with Dr’s information, prescription dosage, child’s name and date filled.
Late Pick-Up Policy
When a child has not been picked-up on time, parents will be contacted immediately. In the event an emergency has occurred preventing the family from picking-up the child, the emergency contact provided will be called. If no person authorized to pick-up the child has arrived within thirty minutes after closing, and no family or emergency contacts have been reached, Child Protection will be called to assume responsibility for the child, an action mandated by Colorado State Law.
- The first time a child is picked-up late, the family will receive a verbal warning from the classroom staff/ teacher.
- The second time a child is picked-up late, written notice will be provided to the family indicating that any future late arrivals will result in the child’s placement at the center being forfeited.
Notification of Absences
We appreciate a phone call when children will be absent from the center so that we can better plan for the daily program. If your child is absent due to a communicable illness, we need to know so we can inform other families (i.e., flu, thrush, strep throat, ringworm, etc.).
All children are encouraged to arrive at the center by 9:00 each morning. Arrangements for your child to arrive later must be discussed with your child’s teacher. This is for the benefit of classroom planning.
- Caterpillar Room 247-7614
- Tadpole Room 247-7360
- Lightning Bug Room 247-7665
- Rainbow Fish Room 247-7673