Intern Joseph Miranda (right) studies the business and craft
of pottery with Adam Field of Adam Field Studios.
When it comes to career preparation, nothing beats real-world experience.
A new internship program coordinated by the FLC Career Services office and the Durango Chamber of Commerce creates opportunities for students to get that hands-on professional experience in and around Durango, earning workplace wisdom and insights, while deepening their skills and knowledge.
To connect local employers with Fort Lewis College students, the Durango Chamber of Commerce has launched a page on durangobusiness.org.
Career Services recruits, mentors, and supports those student interns, while also helping businesses establish effective and successful internship experiences.
Once employers and students are connected, interns then work with their employer to develop a detailed plan to accomplish specific internship goals, with clear expectations about training, work schedule, service dates and performance standards.
To assure quality experiences, the program uses internship guidelines from the National Association of Colleges and Employers:
- The experience is an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained so far in their college career.
- The skills or knowledge learned are transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and ending, guided by a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
For more information, contact Career Services Coordinator Jill S. Kolodzne at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-247-7321.