Fort Lewis College and the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic (IHBC) are welcoming high school students to Durango, CO to participate in a free clinic during the IHBC on May 24-25.
The clinic will be held on Saturday, May 24 on the campus of Fort Lewis College. The clinic will begin at 1 p.m. with a campus tour, followed by a skills clinic. The skills clinic will take place in the Factory Trails area on campus.
The clinic will be hosted by legendary Ned Overend and Todd Wells. Overend and Wells will walk riders through the skills program instructed by FLC Cycling Coach Elke Brutsaert. Skills include race starts, bike/body separation, cornering, drop offs, step-ups, pump track and slow motion.
Time will be allowed at the conclusion of Saturday’s clinic for participants to ride a pre-lap on the IHBC mountain bike course.
Saturday will conclude at 5 p.m. with a social that is open to the clinic participants and their family. Durango’s top local professional cyclists will be on hand for an autograph session at the Rocket Grill, located in the Student Union building on campus.
Saturday’s featured guest will be John Register. An All-American in track and field and an Army veteran, Register is a two-time Olympian and an Olympic medalist.
Students who register and attend the 2014 IHBC clinic at Fort Lewis College will receive a $10 discount for Sunday’s cross country race at Fort Lewis College.
Clinic Schedule - Saturday, May 24th
- 1 – 2 p.m.
- F LC Campus Mini-Tour – Start/End at Factory Trails
- 2 – 4 p.m.
- Pro’s Skills Clinic – Hosted by Ned Overend and Todd Wells
- Instruction Program by FLC Coach Elke Brutsaert
- Factory Trails
- 5 - 7 p.m.
- Featured guest John Register
- Community Social/Autograph Session – Rocket Grill, Student Union Building
Housing is available and conveniently located on the Fort Lewis College campus in Animas Hall.
- Cost is $125 per night/per person
- Cost includes sheets, towels, refrigerator, and microwave
- Each room can sleep 4
- Check in on Friday, May 23rd or Saturday, May 24th
- Check out is Sunday, May 25th
On campus meals are available on Saturday only.
- Breakfast - $7
- Lunch - $8.50
Click here for more information on the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic.