Students lose their financial aid eligibility when they are not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, or they were reinstated through the appeals process and they did not follow their approved plan. The most common reasons for suspension are due to the student:
- Not having a 2.0 cumulative g.p.a. in college coursework
- Not having at least a 1.66 cum g.p.a. in their TRS coursework
- Not having course completion rate of 67% (pace)
- Exceeding 180 attempted credit hours.
- Did not follow approved plan exactly.
STUDENTS WHO ARE PLACED ON FINANCIAL AID SUSPENSION CAN APPEAL (DEADLINES LISTED BELOW)
Appeal Process -Students whose funding has been revoked can appeal that decision. To start the process please download and fill out the Financial Aid Suspension Appeal Application and return it to the Office of Financial Aid, along with any applicable supporting documentation, by one of the deadlines listed below. Other forms and/or types of supporting documentation needed are outlined on the appeal application. Students appealing due to maximum timeframe will need to have their professional academic advisor complete a program/degree plan, which needs to be included in their application. Please call 970-382-6985 to make an appointment to complete a degree plan with an advisor.
Earn Back - If you do not have grounds for immediate reinstatement of aid, you can re-establish eligibility by achieving satisfactory progress standards while attending Fort Lewis College without benefit of federal, state, or institutional need-based aid, including federal loans. Once standards are met, you can appeal as an "earn back" to regain financial aid eligibility. Please note, only courses taken at Fort Lewis College are used in the calculation of your gpa.
- Appeals will not be reviewed if:
- the student has not been officially admitted to Fort Lewis College;
- the student has a past due balance greater than $200;
- the student is not eligible to register or has holds on their account.
2. Students will be notified of the result of their appeal via their Fort Lewis College email.
3. Student must comply with any appeal conditions by the designated deadlines.
For more information please contact our office.
Be advised that the Office of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is distinct and separate from the Scholarship Policy and the Academic Standards Policy of the institution.
There is a separate appeals process for students on Academic Suspension. See Academic Standards policies for details.
|SAP Appeal Deadline
||Eligible Appeal Applicant
|4:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 5, 2018
This deadline is for students who are not currently attending, but wishing to appeal for the reinstatement of their financial aid for Spring 2019.
|4:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2019
This deadline is for any student wishing to appeal for the reinstatement of their financial aid for Spring 2019. THIS IS THE LAST APPEAL DEADLINE FOR SPRING 2019.
|4:00 p.m. Wednesday, April 17, 2019
||This deadline is for students who are not currently attending, but wishing to appeal for the reinstatement of their financial aid for Summer 2019.