Marketing & Communications - Licensing FAQ

Licensing FAQ

What is a trademark?

A trademark is a word, name, phrase, symbol or any combination thereof that identifies and distinguishes goods or services of one party from those of others. A trademark is a brand name. A trademark remains the property of the owner so long as the owner continues to use it properly and protects its authenticity as a trademark.

What qualifies as a trademark, logo or symbol?

Any mark, name, logo, symbol, nickname, abbreviation, word, mascot, slogan, uniform insignia or landmark that is associated with Fort Lewis College and is distinguishable from any other college, university, team, organization.

What are Fort Lewis College's marks?

Fort Lewis College is the owner of certain trademarks, trade names, word marks and service marks including, but not limited to:

  • "Fort Lewis College,"
  • "FLC Skyhawks,"
  • "Skyhawks,"
  • "FLC in Durango,"
  • "Fort Lewis College in Durango,"
  • "Colorado’s Public Liberal Arts College,"
  • "Colorado's Campus in the Sky,"
  • "FLC Athletics,”  
  • our seal, our signature, logos etc.

These are collectively called “marks.”

Who must be licensed?

Any individual or company that wishes to receive Fort Lewis College’s express permission to use any or all of its trademarks/logos on products or for services sold in the marketplace, whether wholesale, retail or online. Other activities, such as some noncommercial use of trademarks/logos, may or may not need to be licensed.

What products can not be licensed?

Fort Lewis College will not license activity which it believes would disparage the college or any of its trademarks, or would be libelous, slanderous, scandalous, offensive, vulgar or constitute an unfair trade practice, or otherwise reflect negatively on the college.

How are Fort Lewis College’s trademarks able to be used with other Trademarks (co-branding)?

Any use of Fort Lewis College’s marks with other trademarks must be approved by the Licensing Coordinator, or through a contract.

 How much does it cost to become licensed?

The cost for a Standard License Agreement is a $100 non-refundable application fee and a 2. 8% royalty fee for Fort Lewis College products.

The cost for a Restricted License Agreement is a $75 non-refundable application fee.

What is the difference between the Standard License and the Restricted License?

The Standard License is used by companies that desire to produce licensed products for resale to the general public, for profit.

The Restricted License is used by companies that desire to only produce licensed products for internal consumption by Fort Lewis College. No products produced under this license agreement may be sold to the general public for profit.

If the product is not going to be resold, does it have to be produced by a licensed vendor?

Yes. All items bearing Fort Lewis College’s marks must be produced by a licensed vendor whether they are for resale or not.

What does Fort Lewis College do if unlicensed merchandise is discovered in the marketplace?

Merchandise produced without authorization may be considered counterfeit or infringing and subject to all available legal remedies.

How can I obtain a list of licensees?

Here it is! 

Can my vendor be added to the list?

Contact Strategic Marketing Affiliates or the Fort Lewis College Licensing Coordinator to have your vendor added to the approved vendor list.

 Is it acceptable to alter a Fort Lewis College Trademark?

No. At no time can Fort Lewis College Trademarks be altered.