The faculty of the Freshman Math Program would like to honor the achievement of students who have distinguished themselves by their effort, positive attitude and commitment to learning. We are very proud of our students who work so hard to maintain high standards. Therefore, there are several awards, with specific criteria, that are presented twice a year. The first is in December at the FMP Fall Awards Ceremony; the second is in April at both the College Freshman/Sophomore Awards Convocation as well as at the FMP Spring Awards Ceremony. The following is a list of the awards that students can be chosen for:
- Dr. Gregory W. Bell "Absolute Maximum" College Algebra Student Award, the College Mathematics Maximum Student Award, the Intermediate Algebra Maximum Student Award, and the Introduction to Algebra Maximum Student Award. This award is for the student(s) who are considered the “top” performers in each of their respective classes, not only determined by their grade but other criteria (including class participation), as well.
- College Algebra, College Mathematics, Intermediate Algebra, and Introduction to Algebra Outstanding Student Award. These awards are for the students who consistently demonstrate high quality in all work and attitude, yet don’t quite meet the requirements for the Maximum Student Award.
- HOPE Award for College Algebra, College Mathematics, Intermediate Algebra, and Introduction to Algebra. These awards are for the students who demonstrate hard work, have possibly overcome obstacles, have shown persistence, and have high expectations as evidenced by exponential growth throughout the term.
- The DRIVE Award for College Algebra, College Mathematics, Intermediate Algebra, and Introduction to Algebra. These awards are Algebra Alcove tutor (student or faculty) nominated. These awards are given to the students who frequently visit the Algebra Alcove and whose performance demonstrates qualities of being disciplined, ready, independent, visionary and enthusiastic/eager.
- 100% Club for College Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and Introduction to Algebra. These awards are for the students who score 100% on one or more exams without bonus points added.