A new facility for three of Fort Lewis College’ most popular programs will soon both increase the educational opportunities for students and address the rapidly increasing enrollments in these programs. The $35-million Geosciences, Physics & Engineering Hall represents decade-long efforts by FLC officials, faculty, and area legislators, backed by generous donors and supporters.
Ground was broken on the new GPE Hall in 2013, and it is slated to open in Fall 2016. Currently, the Geosciences program occupies the portion of Berndt Hall that was constructed in 1956, and the Physics and Engineering programs are housed in a portion that was built in 1968.
The new 60,000-square-foot academic building will house state-of-the-art research spaces designed for the particular needs of each program. Amenities will include laboratory and electronics equipment, field tools, astronomical and optical technologies, and specialized testing and research facilities. A rooftop research observatory will also support physics and astronomy classes.