Students admitted to the program who complete the requirements specified in their catalog and earn a 3.0 cumulative GPA will receive a notation on their transcripts that they are John F. Reed Honors Scholars and receive special recognition at Honors convocation and graduate with a Minor in the Rhetoric of Inquiry.
To gain admission to the Honors Program, students must meet specific eligibility requirements as well as submit application materials. Applications are reviewed by the Honors Council followed by applicants being interviewed. Learn the details of these requirements here.
Requirements for Graduation
The requirements to graduate as a John F. Reed Honors Scholar are catalog-specific.
Perks of the Honors Program
Perks for admitted Honors Program students include:
- Registration priority
- Key to Honors Lounge in Jones Hall 158 (computers, couches, microwave, refrigerator)
- Community of like-minded students interested in academic challenge
- Occasional tickets to local events
- Outside mentorship on honors thesis
- Bound copy of honors thesis
- Special receptions marking admission and completion of program
- Minor in Rhetoric of Inquiry at graduation when Honors Program is completed
- Honors stoles to be worn at graduation
- Honors designation listed on transcript and graduation program
Opportunities for First Semester Freshmen
Incoming freshmen interested in the Honors Program should take an Honors forum or HON 250 – Community of Scholars as soon as possible to be considered for admission.
For more information contact Dr. Bill Mangrum (coordinatorHonors@fortlewis.edu)