The road to becoming a John F. Reed Honors Scholar begins here . . .
Dr. William Lee Mangrum, Temporary Coordinator of the John F. Reed Honors Program, processes each application within ten (10) days of being queried by a prospective scholar. There are no deadlines. Interested students may apply to the Honors Program at any time during the calendar year.
- Send a brief letter of query to ApplyHonors@FortLewis.edu.
- Describe your interest in the Honors Program and explain why you wish to join.
- Request an interview to discuss becoming an Honors Scholar.
Prepare for your interview by reviewing the Mission, Vision and Core Values of the Honors Program. In the interview, Dr. Mangrum will explain the goals of the Honors Program, the sequence of forums, and the value of the Honors Community. If you are ready to become an Honors Scholar, Dr. Mangrum will
The application process takes less than three weeks. So, if you are ready to join this life-changing conversation as a member of the John F. Reed Honors Program, please attend to the following.
First-year students in the Presidential Scholars Program are granted immediate admission to the John F. Reed Honors Program. Presidential Scholars meet or exceed the following academic standards.
If you are a Presidential Scholar, please email PresidentialScholars@FortLewis.edu.
Incoming (first year) students should apply to the Honors Program if they
- present a cumulative high school GPA of 3.30 (weighted or unweighted) or better
- register for HON 250 (Community of Scholars) in either the first or second term at Fort Lewis College
Current FLC students should apply to the Honors Program if they
- registered for or have already completed HON 250 (Community of Scholars)
- accrued less than 50 college credits
- maintained a cumulative 3.10 GPA in college
Transfer and Non-Standard Students
Interested students transferring to Fort Lewis College or FLC students who do not meet the aforementioned requirements should contact Dr. William Lee Mangrum to discuss their particular situation.
- Provide a letter detailing your interest in and reasons for becoming an Honors Scholar.
- Provide an unofficial copy of your high school or college transcript.
- Provide one letter from an educational instructor and one from a non-academic mentor or employer.
ACT and SAT scores are useful. However, these are not required for admission.
Please email your application materials to ApplyHonors@FortLewis.edu