Student Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse All Expand All

West and Animas Halls have community kitchens with full facilities.  Residents may arrange to use the kitchen through their RA, and are responsible for cleaning after themselves.

In the traditional halls (Camp, Crofton, Escalante), there are several bedrooms in a row (two students per bedroom), and residents go down the hall to a community style bathroom containing several showers, toilets and sinks (up to 30 students sharing the bathroom). A wall or a partition separates each toilet and shower. In a suite there are two bedrooms (two students per bedroom) joined by a shared bathroom (4-5 total students sharing the bathroom).

The first person you should contact is your RA to inform them of your situation. The RA will try to mediate between the parties involved. If the mediation fails or if the situation is a friendly move, your first opportunity to move will be two weeks after school has been in session. Detailed information regarding room changes will be posted in the halls prior to the designated room change period.

Your RA (Resident Assistant) is a student living in the hall that plans programs, assists students in their transition to college, and enforces rules for the benefit of the community.

An SRA (Senior Resident Assistant) has been an RA for at least one year and has assumed additional administrative duties along with the regular RA responsibilities.

Your RD (Residence Director) is a full time professional staff member who lives in the halls or apartments, supervises the RAs, acts as a resource for students, builds and maintains community, and enforces rules and regulations.

No to both questions. We do recommend that students inform their roommates, family, or housing staff if they are going to be gone for extended periods of time outside of normal breaks.

Your room gets cleaned as often as you and your roommate want to clean it. The community bathrooms and public areas are cleaned every day and the suite bathrooms are cleaned once a week. Apartments are only cleaned after the residents move out.

Only fish in a 10-gallon or smaller aquarium are permitted in the residence halls and apartments. Due to health standards, limited space, and students with allergies, all other pets are not allowed in the housing facilities. Dogs are not allowed anywhere on the Fort Lewis College campus.

The City of Durango runs a shuttle program called the ‘Durango Transit’ to the College and through most of the city, the mall and Wal-Mart. Riding is free for FLC students with a valid ID. There are also several trails going down the hill from campus where you can walk downtown in 10-15 minutes.

Several residence halls have bike racks located outside the building where you can lock your bike, or you can keep your bike in your room on a bike rack. Each room may have up to two bike racks and installation of new bike racks costs $30.00. We encourage you to lock your bike up whenever you are not present. Never leave your bike in stairways or hallways.

Each room in the residence halls and apartments is equipped with Ethernet ports and wireless internet access, and digital cable access with over 70 channels (student should provide his/her own coax cable). Each room also comes with a local phone line and voicemail. Each suite in Animas Hall has a television in the living room. Each residence hall/apartment complex has a computer lab with computers and a printer. Labs are open during most of the day; times will be set by staff in that building once the school year begins.

Each residence hall room and apartment is furnished, as are the lounges. Each residence hall room has one bed, desk, desk chair and wardrobe/closet/dresser per student. Suite rooms in Crofton and Camp, all rooms in West Hall and Animas Hall, and all apartments are carpeted. Traditional style rooms in Camp, Crofton, Escalante and all rooms in Cooper and Bader-Snyder are NOT carpeted. Additionally, apartments (only) are furnished with a refrigerator, oven/stove, dining table, chairs, loveseat and end table. No kitchenware or utensils are provided. All furniture is inventoried. All items must stay within the room, apartment or lounge. Violation of this policy will result in the student responsible being charged for the cost of moving or replacing the furniture.
Each room and apartment is furnished with one telephone line including local telephone service (you may bring your own telephone or contact staff in your building to borrow a telephone). Students are provided with their own private voice mail accounts. Long distance calls may be made by using a calling card. All rooms and apartments have one ethernet port per resident, as well as wireless internet access.  Residence halls and apartments have cable television access providing over 70 channels. Students will need to provide their own television and co-ax cable.

  • Sheets, blankets, comforter, pillows and cases (mattress size = x-long twin, 36" by 80")
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Hangers for closet
  • Desk lamp and study materials
  • Throw rugs
  • Storage containers for food and other items
  • Posters, pictures and items to personalize your room
  • Laundry bag or basket, laundry detergent (liquid is recommended for use in the machines)
  • Television (optional)
  • Microwaves (optional, must meet requirements)
  • Small appliances (apartment residents only, optional)
Do Not Bring
  • Fire hazards - candles, incense, kerosene or halogen lamps, hot plates, toasters, or any appliances with open coils
  • Items of extraordinary value - if you do, we strongly suggest those items have personal property insurance.
  • Pets - the only pets allowed on campus are fish in an aquarium (10 gallons or less).
  • Weapons - of any kind including firearms, bows, explosive devices, paint pellet guns, etc. are strictly prohibited.
  • Potential damage items - waterbeds, dartboards
Personalizing Your Space
When it comes to decorating, students may be as creative as they like. Posters, pictures, plants, chairs and throw rugs are a few typical items used to personalize space. Remember that in attaching items to the walls or floors, care must be taken not to damage these surfaces. Mead 3M tabs work well for attaching items. You may not paint your room. Students will be charged for damages deemed not regular wear and tear at the end of their stay.

If you have a food allergy, intolerance, or special condition, you will find a supportive menu and staff committed to helping your achieve your dietary goals. Please contact the General Manager at Campus Dining located in room 75 of the Student Union or call 970-247-7605.

Laundry machines are located in the basements of Cooper, Escalante, Crofton, Camp, Bader A, Snyder A and Mears Apartments, on each floor in West and Animas, and in the Centennial Service Building. The current cost is $1.25/load to wash and $1.25/load to dry. All laundry rooms are equipped with a card reader, allowing you to use your student ID and SkyCash to pay for laundry services.  By logging into you can determine if laundry machines are available and by creating an account, you can arrange for text alerts regarding the status of your laundry.  You can also find out how to access the Laundryview mobile app.

Fort Lewis College requires all incoming first-time freshman students to live on campus for two academic semesters (fall and spring) unless they meet one of the following exceptions:
  • they are married, divorced or a single parent
  • they live with a parent or guardian within a 60-mile radius of the campus
  • have previously lived in a residential school (ie boarding school)
  • have prior military service
  • are 20 years of age or older
All exception requests must be submitted in writing to the Director of Housing. Students will be notified in writing if the exemption has been granted, if additional information is needed or if the exemption has not been granted. If you apply for on-campus housing and are housed for the fall term and you do not request an exemption, you are obligated to reside on campus for the full academic year.

Housing assignment cancellations must be made, in writing, to the Student Housing Office.  Applicants who cancel their housing application housing prior to July 15 (Dec 1 for spring term) will forfeit $25 of their housing deposit.  Those received between July 15 (Dec 1) and August 15 (Jan 1) will forfeit the entire $150 housing deposit.  After August 15 (Jan 1), applicants cancelling their housing will forfeit the entire housing deposit and incur a $250 Late Cancellation penalty.  No cancellations will be taken by telephone. You may also fax your cancellation to the Housing Office at (970) 247-7501. Please include your full name, ID #, signature and reason for cancellation. Please note, once students accept occupancy by commencing check-in procedures (accepting the check-in form and room key for the assigned apartment or room), they are not eligible to cancel their housing unless they officially withdraw from the College.

Gender Neutral Housing is available to students who request it.  Feel free to review our Gender Neutral Housing FAQ page at for more details.

Each on-campus resident is assigned a PO box in the Student Union Building. Once you arrive on campus, you will need to go to the Post Office window to get your combination for the box. Packages for new students can be mailed no earlier than two weeks prior to their arrival and will be stored in the Post Office.

If you live in a residence hall and plan to stay in Durango over Thanksgiving, Winter or Spring Breaks, please contact the Housing Office at 970-247-7503 for information on break-period housing and costs. We offer summer housing in the Mears Apartment Complex. Please refer to Summer Housing for more information.

We suggest you look into getting property insurance, especially if you plan to bring items of extraordinary value. Many homeowners’ policies will not cover a student’s belongings at college. Please check with your insurance agency.

Alcohol is not permitted in the residence halls, even if you are of legal drinking age. Alcohol may be permitted in the apartments if the resident is 21 or older. Persons caught violating this rule are subject to disciplinary sanctions that may include removal from housing and the College. Illegal drug use could result in the removal from the residence halls and possibly the College. Marijuana odor is sufficient cause for disciplinary action. Whether participating or not, being in the presence of either alcohol or illegal drugs may result in disciplinary action.

Many students choose to bring bookshelves, side tables or other small items, however, other furnishings will likely not fit in your room. College-owned furnishings cannot be stored outside of the room.

Roommate requests are granted when space is available, the request is mutual and the requests are received at the same time.

If you know someone with whom you would like to room, the student housing staff will make every effort to assign students together if these instructions are followed:
Each housing application is filled out requesting the same type of accommodations and the same priorities;
  • The students request each other as roommates; and
  • The applications are submitted online (or mailed) at the same time to ensure that they receive similar priority dates.

New and transfer students will receive their building assignment by mid-June. A more detailed packet that includes your room assignment, on-campus mailing address and phone number, roommate’s name and contact information, and much more information about move-in will be sent by the first of August.

Students assigned to a residence hall will automatically be signed up for the 14-meal plan when they are assigned their housing. They may change to the 12- or 10-meal plan through their WebOPUS account until Census Date. Since you don’t have a kitchen in your residence hall room, students living in all residence halls are required to have a meal plan. Apartment residents are not required to have a meal plan, but may add one through WebOPUS. Dining Dollars are included with each meal plan. They can be used at any food service location and cannot be purchased separately. SkyCash is money that is applied to a student's Fort Lewis College ID card so that the student may use it as a debit card at any food service location. For additional information and meal plan options, please contact Campus Dining and/or the SkyCard Service Center.

Out of respect for all, there is no smoking in any campus buildings. This includes residence halls, classrooms, breezeways, hallways and other spaces. Smoking is permitted outside College facilities in designated smoking areas.

Campus tours are arranged through the Office of Admission and Advising at (970) 247-7184. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to offer tours of all residence halls and apartments.  Check out the College's Virtual Tour.

Please refer to the Housing Calendar.
All residence halls will be closed during Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks. Students will need to find an alternate place to stay during the closure periods, but are permitted to leave their belongings in their rooms. The apartment complexes will remain open during breaks.

Loft kits for Camp, Crofton, Escalante, Cooper, Animas, West, and the Bader / Snyders may be requested through respective building staff. All loft kits will be provided on an “as-available” basis.  The College begins to take requests on Fall Check-In day, first-come, first-serve. Students who have a loft kit installed in their room will be billed $25.00 to their student account. Residents may request staff assistance with lofting or un-lofting their beds.  Lofts are currently not available for Centennial or Mears Apartments. Residents are not permitted to construct lofts or obtain them from other sources.  Residents may also request bunkable beds kits if lofts are not available. All existing furniture must remain present in the assigned room after lofting or bunking.


Each suite in Animas Hall comes with a microwave and mini-fridge. In other halls, students may bring one refrigerator and one microwave per residence hall room. Once you receive your roommate information, you may want to contact him/her to determine who is bringing what items. Microwaves must be less than 1.0 cu. ft. and refrigerators less than 4.6 cu. ft. In addition, residence halls have a microwave available to students in the lounge or office area. Many other appliances, such as those with open coils, are prohibited due to fire safety concerns.

All students are allowed to bring a car, and all vehicles parking on campus must have a current parking permit (available at the Cashier’s Office or Police & Parking Services Office).  Permits are available for the full academic year or by semester.  No parking permit is required during the summer.  Please note: No one may park in fire lanes or metered areas while unloading; violators will be ticketed.  Please visit the Police and Parking Services website for additional information.