Does Your Windows Computer Need a Tune Up?
Here are instructions to help you understand how to perform basic maintenance on your computer.
Symptoms: Freezing or locking up programs, long startup and shutdown times, general computer slowness.
Causes: Malware (malicious software that includes viruses and spyware), too much software installed, large volume of old or divided data on your computer, not enough RAM memory to support computer function.
Resolutions:Follow these recommendations to clean your computer:
1. Run an antivirus scan using a program such as Microsoft Windows Defender
2. Run the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner at safety.live.com
3. Run and anti-malware scan using a program such as Malwarebytes
4. Uninstall unnecessary software using the 'Add or Remove Programs' Control Panel
5. Perform a Disk Cleanup
6. Defragment your hard drive
FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY:
Check your virtual memory paging file size
**DO NOT set to no paging file**
Feel free to contact the IT Help Desk at AskIT@fortlewis.edu or 970-247-7444 if you need further assistance.