Healthy community

Housing staff will provide assistance to all residents in each one of their communities and will work with residents to create a vibrant community by providing support and a sense of belonging. Community engagement is the highest priority.

Reduce density

More rooms are designated as singles to reduce density to allow better physical distancing in the residence halls. Gatherings for events and activities are limited to group size governed by Colorado and/or local public health guidance. Virtual programming will be utilized more, as will individual outreach to students.


Sanitation and cleaning protocols, consistent with CDC guidance, are in place for resident safety. Rooms are set aside for quarantine and isolation for students that develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19.

Dates & dollars

The housing contract for the spring semester starts on the day of assigned arrival and runs through May 8, 2021. Rates will remain at those of the 2019-2020 academic year to best support students and help them in their academic endeavors.

Discounted housing rates

We are applying the Housing 2019-2020 academic year rates, rather than the planned rate increase that was previously approved. We hope this makes your academic year a little easier.

We are offering more single rooms and spacing students out more to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. The following room rates are per person, per semester.

General student housing

  • Single bedroom Suite – (Animas, Bader/Snyder, Cooper) $4,235   
  • Double bedroom Suite – Bader/Snyder, Camp, Cooper, Crofton, Escalante, West $3,344   
  • Single bedroom Traditional – Camp, Crofton, Escalante $3, 344  
  • Double bedroom Traditional – Camp, Crofton, Escalante $2,398  

Family Housing Units 

  • Apartment One Bedroom $3,696 
  • Apartment Two Bedroom $4,235 

For upper-division students 

  • Apartment Centennial One Bedroom $3,344  
  • Apartment Centennial Two Bedroom $2,772  
  • Apartments Mears Two Bedroom $3,696

Q & A

Safety procedures & accommodations

What are the prevention protocols that will be used in housing to prevent the spread of COVID-19?  

A number of strategies are in place: 

  • All campus residents are tested for COVID-19 upon move in. Testing throughout the term is available to anyone who believes they may have a need to test, and random sampling testing of the FLC population will occur. If you are interested in learning more about testing, please go to the Campus Health section for more information. 
  • Increased common area and bathroom cleaning frequency in compliance with CDC guidelines.   
  • Each room/suite/apartment has a disinfectant spray bottle. All students are highly encouraged to use this bottle in their room, as well as use the spray bottles provided in common areas after students are done using the space.   
  • Students are expected to follow CDC and public health guidelines, such as washing their hands consistently and maintaining physical distancing.  
  • Students are expected to wear face coverings when they are outside of their room/apartment. This includes when they leave their building, and while they use common areas in the Residence Hall or their apartment. 
  • Room changes are limited to extenuating circumstances.   
  • Visitors and guests are not permitted. 
  • More information about our new policies and guidelines due to COVID-19 is available in the Student Housing Guide. The COVID -19 addendum is on pages 19-20.

Will my friends be able to come visit my room?  

Guests and visitors are restricted in residential buildings. Students are encouraged to meet others in an outside or larger area. Students living in the same building can visit their neighbors as long as mask-wearing and physical distance requirements are met. Lounges and other common areas are available for students of that residential community to study, watch a movie, or play pool.

Spring 2021 move-in

When are students moving in?

To reduce the number of people on campus for move-in, each student has been assigned a specific check-in date and time window. It is extremely important that you arrive at your assigned time so we can maintain adequate physical distancing and minimize the risk to everyone’s health. Staff will not be available to do check-ins outside of this time frame.

New students or students with new assignments

Students new to Fort Lewis College, or those moving into a new housing assignment for the Spring 2021 semester, will check in to Student Housing on Sunday, January 24, 2021. 

Check-in assignments are assigned by the first letter of your last name:

January 24, 2021
9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – A to L
11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – M to Z

Returning students

If you are returning to your Fall Housing assignment, please read the information below carefully for housing move-in time/date assignment. If you live in the on-campus apartments and are in your housing already, you must still follow steps below to check in to housing for the spring semester even if you stayed over the Winter Break.

Check-in assignments are assigned by the first letter(s) in your last name:

Monday, January 25, 2021
8 a.m. to 10 a.m. — A to Bo, 
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. — Bp to C
12 p.m. to 2 p.m. — D to Gi

Tuesday, January 26, 2021
8 a.m. to 10 a.m. — Gj to H
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. — I to Li
12 p.m. to 2 p.m. — LJ to M

Wednesday, January 27, 2021
8 a.m. to 10 a.m. — N to R
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. — S to Ti
12 p.m. to 2 p.m. — Tj to Z

What is the spring housing check-in procedure?

All students living on campus this spring must check into housing using the steps below. Check-in procedures have been carefully designed to minimize risk and ensure the health and wellness of everyone on campus. Staff will not be available to do check-ins outside of this time frame. Masks are still required in all spaces on campus and must be worn during check in.

Before you arrive, please use the Fort Lewis College App to register for your COVID-19 test during your assigned check in time. Check your email for more information on opening registration times.

Step 1: Track Symptoms in Fort Lewis College app

  • Use the FLC app to track your symptoms using the Prescreening feature.
  • If you have symptoms when you arrive to campus you will be unable to check into Spring Housing. Please stay home and contact the Student Health Center via email or 970-247-7355.

Step 2: Complete your COVID-19 Testing at the Stadium Parking lot (campus map)

  • If you are symptom-free, you will receive a COVID-19 test and then you will receive a health clearance bracelet. You must keep the bracelet on through the first day of classes.
  • You must sign up on the FLC app for a COVID-19 test online before your test.
  • Students in Family Housing must sign up all residents living in their apartment, 15 years and older, to receive a free COVID-19 test during the student’s assigned time. 

Step 3: Check In to Spring Housing at your Hall Office

  • All Residential Students must check in at their hall office. You cannot enter your housing assignment until you have checked in with housing staff.
  • For new FLC students, we will verify that you have completed your online Health Awareness Certification (HAC). You will not be permitted to move into housing or attend classes until you have completed this online course.
  • To check in at your hall office, you will need to show your student ID and the health clearance bracelet you were given after your COVID-19 test.

Step 4: Move Into your Housing Assignment

  • Only people who live in your hall community, who have been tested for COVID-19, can be in your hall. No guests from outside of your building can enter to help you bring in belongings.

Step 5: Get your Skycard and Return Temporary Card (New FLC students only)

  • Go to Skyhawk Station to pick up your ID card once you receive negative COVID-19 test results. You should submit a photo for your SkyCard by January 20 to reduce wait time when you pick up your card. Your ID card will give you access to your housing assignment.
  • Once you have your ID card, return the temporary card you received at check-in to the Mail Box by your Hall office. Failure to return your card by the first Monday of classes will result in a $25 replacement charge.
Spring 2021 new students/residents

I am at increased risk for COVID complications. What are my options?

Consult your doctor first. If you decide to live on or off campus, it is a personal choice. Please do what is best for you. You can utilize Disability Services on campus to help guide you in this decision. We will work with you to tailor your assignment if living on campus is advised. For further questions, please contact the Housing Office directly.

Are first-year students required to live on campus as they normally do?    

Yes, the requirement is still in place, however, additional reasons have been added to the list of qualifying factors to be approved for an exemption, including COVID-19 related concerns.

I have a disability. Who should I talk to about accommodations?   

Please refer all your accommodation questions or concerns to our Disability Services office. Housing will work with them to make sure your accommodations are met.

Getting sick

What happens if I get sick?  

FLC staff are available to assist students who develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19. Where possible, those who test positive should arrange to complete their self-isolation at a permanent residence. If not possible, FLC will coordinate an appropriate location for self-isolation. Students requiring more extensive medical care will be treated as appropriate by medical professionals. In order to assist students better and give them the necessary support, students should contact the Health Center at 970-247-7355 and complete the COVID support form.

What happens if my roommate or someone else living near me gets sick?   

Students who develop symptoms will isolate at a separate location that will be provided to them, until test results are available. You will be notified only if, through contact tracing done in partnership with our local health department, you have been identified as someone who is at risk and should be monitoring your own symptoms and interactions more carefully. Otherwise, the information about the health status of other students and community members is confidential unless they chose to share it themselves.

Can I cancel my contract without penalty if I get sick?  

We are unable to cancel your housing contract due to illness. If this is a concern of yours, we highly suggest you consider getting tuition insurance. Read more about tuition insurance.

Contact Student Housing

For the fastest response to housing-related questions, contact Student Housing directly.

Email or call 970-247-7503. Please leave a message if no one answers your call, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Back to Campus Life