Are you ready to take the next steps?
Psychology majors deal in curiosity. As a psychology major, you will delve into the complex phenomena of relationships, thinking, memory, development, disorders, and personality, and you will seek to understand why humans (and animals) think, feel, and act as they do. You can study abroad, in summer field schools, and in hospital settings. You can pursue your own original research and present your findings at professional conferences. And, by the time you graduate, you will have collaborated on laboratory and field research.
- Undergraduate Research - Our research programs and practical opportunities give you first-hand experiences with real-life phenomena while under the supervision of our faculty and community partners. Field and research activities are part of the curriculum as you pursue original research and have a chance to present your work to colleagues at conferences.
- Summer Field Schools – We regularly offer psychology field schools during the summer. The offerings may vary from year to year, so feel free to check out the Psychology Department page for current offerings.
- STEM3 – You can join the STEM3 program as a tutor or a participant. The program’s mission is to improve retention, graduation, and graduate school transferability of STEM3 students at FLC.
- MSW Program - We have a special cooperative program under which you can apply to substitute the first year of the Durango-based University of Denver Four Corners Master of Social Work (MSW) program for your final year of undergraduate coursework at FLC.
Beyond the Degree
Once you graduate, you are qualified for any related graduate program. Earning this degree also leads to careers in such fields as:
- Health services
- Higher education
- Law enforcement
- Mental health
- Occupational therapy
- Psychological research
- Public relations
- Social work
- Special education
- Wilderness therapy
- Youth and family services
For any career, this degree establishes your critical thinking, researching, writing, and speaking abilities. You will gain demonstrable experience in applying ethical standards, building interpersonal relationships, and using scientific reasoning.
Recent graduate school placements include:
- Denver University
- University of New Mexico
- San Diego State
- New Mexico Highlands University
- Colorado State University
- Seton Hall
- University of Colorado