In a world where numerical proficiency is becoming ever more vital, the Fort Lewis College Mathematics Department sees itself on a tripartite quest with the overarching goal to foster critical thinking and problem solving skills in all courses and for all students.
Math for STEM Majors
- To provide students in STE departments with the mathematical tools needed for success in their chosen majors, thereby helping to create strong majors in all STE disciplines;
- To train future teachers of mathematics, thereby promoting mathematics education at the elementary and secondary school level in the Four Corners region;
- To prepare mathematics majors for future graduate study or technical careers, thereby advancing the study and practice of mathematics.
Liberal Arts Core Math
- Students will be able to apply mathematical concepts to contextual situations.
- Students will have the skills necessary to succeed in the quantitative components of their major.
- Students will be able to communicate mathematical understanding in writing.
- Students will be able to maintain an organized portfolio for their courses.