PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT: In a world where numerical proficiency is becoming ever more vital, the Fort Lewis College Mathematics Department sees itself as having a threefold mission with the overarching goal to foster critical thinking and problem solving skills in all courses and for all students.
- To provide students in STE departments with the mathematical tools needed for success in their chosen majors, thereby helping to create strong majors in all STE disciplines;
- To train future teachers of mathematics, thereby promoting mathematics education at the elementary and secondary school level in the Four Corners region;
- To prepare mathematics majors for future graduate study or technical careers, thereby advancing the study and practice of mathematics.
LEARNING OUTCOMES. Our program learning outcomes are as follows:
- Students will demonstrate competency in Algebra.
- Students will demonstrate competency in Geometry.
- Students will demonstrate competency in Calculus.
- Students will be able to write a correct mathematical proof using proper terminology and logical structure.
- Students will produce and deliver effective written and oral presentations of mathematical material and ideas.
- Students will apply algebraic, geometric, and computational methods in abstract settings.
- Students will apply algebraic, geometric, and computational methods in applied settings.
Complete Program Learning Outcomes, including learning objectives for each course