Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Anthropology professor serving in curator position
FLC Professor of Anthropology Charles Riggs has been appointed as the College’s Curator of Archaeological Collections.
Among the Curator’s duties are:
- Management of all archaeological materials from past, current and future Fort Lewis College archaeological projects.
- Oversight of temporary and permanent storage of archaeological materials from archaeological or historic contexts resulting from projects carried out by the Department of Anthropology.
- Development of a policy for Fort Lewis College regarding the use of the Department of Anthropology’s archaeological collections in teaching and research.
- Participation in NAGPRA-related requests for unassociated funerary objects, sacred items and items of cultural patrimony contained within the current Fort Lewis College archaeological collections and participate in consultations with tribal representatives when needed.
- Assist the Center of Southwest Studies with the identification of potential NAGPRA related materials in its archaeology collections.