The Old Fort
Dr. Stonaker was a fresh Ph.D from Iowa State University when he was hired by Colorado A & M (now CSU) Department of Animal Science in 1943. With a degree in Animal Breeding and Genetics under Dr. J.L. Lush, he began looking at the resources and facilities at the "old fort". After a brief stint serving his country, he returned in 1946 to begin one of the largest and longest running project to study inbreeding in cattle.
This picture of Dr. Stonaker was taken in late 1940s. In June, 1998 he identified this bull as Hiwan Prince C58, one of the comprest bulls in the Mesa line.
During the time the college was at the "old Fort", they also hired herdsmen to attend to the college's animals.
Pictured to the right are John Rothlisberger, Assistant Animal Husbrandrymen and Max E. McKinnon, Agriculture Supt. in 1951. Bulls shown are son and father Colo 1238 and Colo 236, respectively. They belonged to the Colorado inbred line and were produce of CSC Dominator 6.