The Old Fort

Indian Boarding School Photos

 

Faculty Orchestra 1898 Mrs. Miller's Girls in the mid-1890s
faculty orchestra 1898 miss millers girls mid 1890s.
Photo courtesy of Fort Lewis College Center of Southwest Studies Photo courtesy of LaPlata County Historical Society and Fort Lewis College Center of SouthWest Studies
Fort Lewis Indian School faculty orchestra.  The only faculty identified is Henry Kitosh,  second from left.  He was an Engineer at Fort Lewis, a full blooded Indian from Wisconsin and a graduate of Carlyle College in Pennsylvania. Matron Mrs. Miller with party of girls in mid 1890s at the Fort Lewis Indian Boarding School.  Notice that not all of the girls are Native American.  Since the school was open to all children, many of the locals sent their children to Fort Lewis.
   
Indian Boarding School Band in 1896 Employees at the Indian Boarding School mid-1890s
Indian Boarding School Band 1896 Indian Boarding School employees mid-1890s
Photo courtesy of  Fort Lewis College Center of SouthWest Studies Photo courtesy of LaPlata County Historical Society and Fort Lewis College Center of SouthWest Studies
The band appeared frequently at Mancos, Hesperus and Durango.  Some of the Indian pupils attended for ten years and developed excellent skills. This mid-1890s photo shows the wide variety of employees.  All faculty members lived on campus with many of them serving as dorm matrons.

 

Wildcat Canyon Road

wildcat canyon rd

Photo courtesy of La Plata County Historical Society Photo Archives -
Charles Di Ferdinando Collection

After a storm in Wild Cat Canyon- Mr. Herr (a teacher at Fort Lewis) and 
some of the Indian Boys taken in early 1900s