SLC General Policies
- A strict ID policy is enforced when entering the facility. Everyone must show their valid ID (i.e., FLC student or faculty/staff photo ID). No one will be permitted into programs or services without valid photo ID.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the activity areas. The only exception is beverages in a closed container.
- Shirt and shoes must be worn. Appropriate clothing is required in activity areas.
- Only clean, non-marking gym shoes are permitted in the activity areas. Users are encouraged to bring a second pair of shoes to use in the facility.
- Spitting is not allowed in the facility.
- Scheduled activities in the gymnasium take priority over open recreation. Any modifications of the schedule will be posted.
- Individuals under the age of 17 are ONLY permitted in the facility during authorized Recreational Services sponsored events. During these programs, they should be accompanied by a responsible guardian over the age of 18.
- Movement of any equipment/furniture may only be conducted by Recreational Services staff members. All fitness equipment should remain in the part of the facility where it was originally located. Improper use or unapproved modifications of equipment beyond the designed purpose are prohibited.
- Use of outside training materials, especially items that may be considered a weapon, must be approved by the Recreational Services staff.
- Rosin powder, wax or any other substances that might alter the floor are strictly prohibited.
- Injuries, accidents or equipment failures are to be reported immediately to the Recreational Services staff.
- Requests for approval to post flyers, signs or posters are directed to the Recreational Services staff.
- Anyone requesting to take photographs or video in Recreational Services facilities must request permission from Recreational Services staff. Failure to follow this policy may result in loss of Recreational Services privileges and will be referred to the appropriate college department for disciplinary action.
- Recreational Services is not responsible for lost or stolen items. We encourage personal belongings to be secured in a locker.
- Only Recreational Services authorized personnel are allowed to provide personal/team training/instructional services. Any participant observed or assumed to be providing personal/team training/instructional services with a patron in the facility who is not authorized by Recreational Services specifically for that purpose, is subject to fines and/or suspension of Recreational Services privileges.
- Use of Recreational Services facilities is a privilege. Violation of Recreational Services rules or posted policies, including verbal and/or physical abuse of employee(s) or patron(s), criminal activity, disorderly conduct or inappropriate behavior may be subject to: (a) immediate removal, (b) fines, (c) suspension of membership, (d) administrative referral to Judicial Affairs.
- Interpretation of any policies will be at the discretion of Recreational Services staff.
Activity-Specific Area Policies
- Only approved activities are permitted in the gyms.
- Only soft-soled, non-marking, athletic and supportive shoes are permitted.
Weight Rooms and Fitness Areas
- It is recommended that you consult with a physician before exercising.
- The circuit training and cardio areas are unsupervised. Participants work out at their own risk.
- Participants must be 17 or older to utilize the fitness equipment.
- Shirts are required at all times.
- Clean athletic shoes are required. Open- toed shoes are prohibited.
- Only authorized personnel of Recreational Services are allowed to provide personal training services. Any participant observed or assumed to be personal training with a patron in the facility who is not employed by Recreational Services specifically for that purpose, is subject to fines and/or suspension of Recreational Services privileges.
- For your safety, please do not leave personal belongings on strength and cardio equipment, or floor. Bags and clothing must be stored in lockers or cubby storage.
- Recreational Services is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Please spray and wipe down equipment after use.
- Safe and proper use of equipment is required at all times. If you are unsure how to use a piece of equipment, please ask a weight room supervisor.
- Please return all plates, dumbbells and accessories to the proper rack or weight tree after each use
- Collars must be used on bars at all times.
- Do not slam weight stacks and/or drop weights on the floor
- Participants are encouraged to rotate after one set and allow other participants to work in when using strength equipment.
- During busy times, please limit your cardio equipment use to 30 minutes.
- Clean athletic shoes must be worn in the racquetball court. Absolutely no black-soled shoes that mark the floor are allowed.
- All metal racquets must have plastic guard attached to racquet heads.
- Racquetball, handball and walleyball are the only activities allowed in the racquetball court unless approved by the Recreational Services staff in advance.
- Eye guards are strongly recommended.
- Absolutely no cell phone or photographic equipment use allowed in the locker rooms. Please report suspicious activity to the Recreational Services staff.
- Please dry in the drying area, near the showers.
- WARNING: Locker room floors may be slippery. Please use caution.
- For general safety, glass containers are not permitted in the locker rooms.
Indoor Track Policies
- Please use caution when entering and exiting the track.
- No spectating from track is allowed, unless approved by Recreational Services staff.
- Track directions vary each day:
- Counter Clockwise: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Clockwise: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
- Walk on the inside lane.
- Run on the outside lane.
- Pass on the middle lane.
- Always look before passing or crossing a lane. The person in the lane has the right of way.
- Proper, clean footwear, with rubber or crepe soles, is required on the track surface.
- Personal items should be kept in lockers or cubby storage. Do not leave items lying along the track.
- Food and drink are not allowed on the track. No exceptions.
- Only Outdoor Pursuits members may utilize the climbing wall.
- All climbers must check-in at the SLC front desk prior to using the wall.
- Guests are permitted if in attendance with an OP member and upon payment of the facility guest fee. Guests are not permitted to belay, but may climb.
- Climbers must pass a belay test in order to climb roped.
- All lead climbers must pass a lead climbing test.
- Climb at your own risk. Roped climbing is not permitted during “Open Rec” hours.
- Report all injuries and facility issues to RecServices Staff.
- Loose chalk is not permitted.
- No food or drink is allowed within the climbing area.
- Clothing appropriate for climbing should be worn at all times including a shirt.
- Climbing or closed toed shoes are only permitted on the wall. No bare feet!
- No rings or loose jewelry while climbing. Long hair should be pulled back.
- Metal bolt hangers are not holds and should not be used as such.
- Do not boulder above the 12’ mark (black line) or top out on the cave. No body parts besides hands may pass the bouldering line.
- All climbers should use a spotter when necessary and realize that even with a spotter, injury, paralysis, or death may occur. Know your limits!
- Watch for loose or broken holds. Inform a staff member when one is found.
- Be observant of other climbers and do not climb above or below other climbers or walk directly underneath someone climbing.
- Keep ramp free of traffic including backpacks, people, or other objects.
- RecServices Staff reserve the right to refuse wall access to anyone due to unsafe climbing practices and/or use of equipment.
Equipment Rental Policies
- You must have a valid photo ID to check out equipment.
- All equipment is free of charge.
- Any equipment checked out under your account becomes your responsibility and must be returned by you.
- It is the responsibility of the patron to inspect equipment being checked out for any previous damage.
- Any damage incurred beyond normal wear and tear (e.g., bent or broken racquets) will be assessed a replacement fee. Damage is assessed upon the return of the equipment to the FLC.
- All equipment checked out must be returned 30 minutes before closing time.
- All late, lost or damaged equipment is subject to a replacement cost.
- Guests of the SLC do not have the ability to check out equipment.
Locker Rental Procedures and Policies
- You must have a valid membership to rent a locker.
- Locker sales begin on the first day of classes each semester and expire on last day of each semester.
- Locker renewal periods begin 30 days prior to each expiration date. Reminders will be available through email and signage throughout the SLC. It is the sole responsibility of the locker renter to be aware of deadlines for renewals.
- All lockers must be renewed by the expiration date.
- Lockers not renewed or vacated by the expiration date will be stripped of the lock, and personal belongings will be bagged and stored in the SLC for one semester (summer term is considered a semester).
- To reclaim items, patrons must present a photo ID at the front desk.
- One month into the current semester, any unclaimed stripped locker items will be donated to charitable organizations or discarded, and is no longer the responsibility of the SLC.
- Stripped items cannot be shipped.
- By renting a locker at the SLC, the renter agrees that the SLC is not responsible for the contents of the locker or disposal thereof. The SLC is not responsible for the items inside the locker if the locker is left unsecured for any period of time. The renter also agrees that if his/her SLC membership becomes invalid at any time during the rental period of the locker, SLC staff will remove all items from the locker.
Day-use Locker Policies
Select lockers are available for day use only. Be sure to bring your own lock in order to use the locker for the day. If any locks are left on day-use lockers at the end of the day, they will be cut. The contents will then be held in the SLC.