Veterans' Affairs Educational Benefits

The Registrar's Office assists the Department of Veterans Affairs through the Veterans Education Benefits Office by providing certification for education benefits under Title 38, U.S. Code: Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 32 (Post Vietnam Era), Chapter 33 (Post 9-11 GI Bill), Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance), Chapter 1607, and Title 10 U.S. Code: Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve Members).

Students eligible for any of these benefits should contact the Registrar's Office as soon as possible prior to the expected date of enrollment. Applicants should apply to Fort Lewis College in a degree-seeking major before applying for veterans’ education benefits. 12 credits is considered full time for Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters. You must notify the Registrar's Office of any change of address, major or enrollment status.

VA Certification Request Form/Participant Agreement

VA Resources


New Veteran Students - The fastest way to apply for your educational benefits is to do so through the online application process at  The alternative is to complete VA form 22-1990 (Application for Educational Benefits) which can be picked up at the Registrar's Office.  You (or the Registrar's Office) must mail this application form to the VA.  Do this as early as possible after you have been accepted by Fort Lewis College, as it takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks to process your application.

Transfer Veteran Students - Complete VA form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training) and submit to the Veterans' Certifying Official at the Registrar's Office.  You may obtain the form at the Registrar's Office.

Dependent Students - You may either apply online at or complete VA form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance).  This needs to be done as early as possible after you have been admitted into Fort Lewis College, as the minimum processing time is 4-6 weeks.  When you receive notification your benefits have been approved, please provide the Veterans' Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office with a copy of the notification letter.  This will provide the VA claim number, which must be used for any correspondence between the Registrar's Office and the VA.

Rehabilitation Students - You will need to contact the Veterans Administration at (800) 827-1000, which will connect you with the proper authority to determine if you qualify for benefits.  Once you have been approved for benefits, you will receive VA form 28-1905 each term of enrollment.  You will then need to submit this form to the Veterans' Certifying Official at the Registrar's Office.

General Information - Address changes with the VA can be made by calling (888) 442-4551.  Please notify the Registrar's Office as well.  Any registration changes should be reported immediately to the Veterans' Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office as soon as possible.  Failure to do so may result in an adjustment of reported hours back to the first day of the semester.

For information on how to apply for educational benefits, or if your enrollment status has changed, please email

You may check the status of your Veterans’ benefits by calling (888) 442-4551. This is an automated phone system which allows you to check your status.  You may also ask questions via the VA Education Benefits website at