Sponsored Research & Federal Relations


Almost all grants have reporting requirements. As the PI on the grant, you are responsible for making sure you are in compliance with any reporting requirements on the grant. Review your grant agreement to make sure you are aware of all reporting requirements. The Senior Accountant can help assist you with any financial reporting requirements on the grant.

All federally funded grants require an FFR – Federal Financial Report to be submitted in various ways for various time periods on grants. Many granting agencies will notify the PI via email of reporting requirements and/or have an online platform for submitting reports. Please work with your granting agency’s Program Officer and your FLC Senior Accountant to ensure compliance with reporting requirements on your grant.    

Reporting requirements may include:

  • All grants require reporting at least annually
  • May require a financial breakdown (prepared by the Senior Accountant in the Controller’s Office)
  • May require that you submit a narrative report on project activities, benchmarks, or deliverables (ask us for guidance)
  • Copies of all reports you file with the sponsor must also be submitted to the Controller’s Office

How to move expenses between orgs and/or accounts

Did expenses related to your grant get recorded to a different org or to the wrong account? If the transaction has not yet posted to the accounting system (Banner), please make sure to code your transaction directly to your grant org. If you made a purchase using an office administrator/grant coordinator’s p-card, communicate with them about which org and account you want the transaction recorded to.

Once transactions have been posted to Banner, you need to make a JV request to get the expenses moved. JV Requests have been moved to a group in the cloud called “Controller's Office – JVRequest.”   If you have not requested a JV in the recent past or are not finding this group, enter the email address jvrequest@fortlewis.edu, then push “tab” until “Controller's Office – JVRequest” shows up in the “To” box.  When you send again in the future, you will see the “Controller's Office – JVRequest” as the default. Please use this process to submit all JV requests. Please use the JV Request Form for Requestor to Attach to Email form to help you explain your request to the Controller's Office.