- Be at least sophomore standing
- 2.5 cumulative GPA (Some programs require higher GPA)
- A good academic and social standing (no academic disciplinary probation)
- Sign up for required classe: GS251
- Must be full time enrolled student semester prior to term abroad
What is General Studies 250?
Students can take GS250 any semester before studying abroad and is designed to help students investigate the numerous destinations and programs available to them, as well as how these programs fit within the Fort Lewis College curriculum and credit transferability guidelines.
What is General Studies 251?
GS251 is required for students who intend to study abroad through International Programs Office. Students are required to have instructor’s permission to sign up for GS251. This course is taken the semester directly prior to study abroad. If you plan to study abroad in Fall Semester 2019, you are to take GS251 in Spring Semester 2019.
They will also prepare for departure by applying for student visas, learning how to stay healthy while abroad and preparing for credits taken abroad to transfer back to FLC.
In order to obtain instructor permission to register for GS251, please answer the following questions completely to Yuriko Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- What’s your ID number?
- What’s your GPA?
- What program are you applying for and what city? (for example USAC, Pau France or ISEP, Lancashire in the UK)
- What courses or FLC requirements are you hoping to fulfill while abroad? Have you verified they are available at your host school?
- What is the total budget for your program including tuition, fees, room, meals, airfare etc.? How are you planning to cover those costs?
- What’s your Study Abroad Program’s Academic Calendar?
- What’s your Study Abroad Country’s Visa requirement?
- ISEP Exchange
- Partner Exchange
- Students pay FLC tuition & fee and go to one of FLC partner schools.
WHAT you need to do...and WHEN you need to do it:
- Enroll in GS250 via Webopus (NO pre-requisites)
- If you've already completed GS250, enroll in GS251 (Pre-requisites: GS250/instructor's signature)
- GS250 and 251 are required for all international programs that are not run by FLC faculty.
- Read online lessons in Canvas.
- Check individual program admission deadlines. Each program has different deadlines.
- Complete pre-application packets. ONLY completed application packets are accepted.
- Deadlines for Exchange Programs
- International Programs Office Application reviews.
- Start look into student visa and apply through appropriate consulate or embassy. This is YOUR responsibility.
- Housing, transportation, and course registration procedures arranged.
- Make an appointment through IPO for Exit interview and final review of program specifics
- Attend pre-departure orientation
- Make sure you are registered properly in Webopus.
- Complete travel plans.
And while you are away...
- Be smart and stay safe.
- Keep in touch with loved ones
- Study hard, play hard, and absorb all you can.