You are qualified to student teach after meeting these requirements:
- Completing all coursework prior to the student teaching term.
- Achieving a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75.
- Earning a minimum C (not C-) grade in all courses with an ED designation. In addition, you must have earned a minimum B- grade in ED 222 and ED 341 and ED 342.
- Passing the appropriate Content Test.
- Completing your Fingerprint and Background Check.
- Earning the support of Teacher Education faculty members. Support may be withheld for violations of academic integrity or irresponsible actions in school-based field experiences, coursework, or in professional or community settings.
Click here to download the Student Teaching Application form.
Petitioning for Admission to Student Teaching
If you have not met one or more of the above requirements, you may petition for a review by the Teaching Education Department’s Professional Education Review Committee (PERC) to explain your reasons for not meeting the criteria and how you plan to remediate the specific admission deficiencies.
PERC Petition Procedure
- Download PERC Petition Form.
- Collect and complete all documents.
- Assemble into one packet.
- Deliver the complete packet to the Administrative Assistant located in EBH 249.
- Submissions that are delivered before the 10th of each month will be reviewed before the end of that month.
PERC Petition Deadlines
Petitions are due on the 10th of the following months:
- Fall Term - September through November
- Spring Term - January through April
Petitions are not accepted during the final weeks of the Fall and spring terms, or during the summer.
PERC Samples for Students