Your financial need determination

Students have to show "financial need" to receive some types of federal, state, and private financial aid.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

When a student completes the FAFSA, the Federal Department of Education uses a formula to determine a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

The Financial Aid Office uses your EFC number to determine your eligibility for different types of financial aid. Find more information on the EFC.

Calculating your financial need

Cost of Attendance (COA) - Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need

Need-based aid is financial aid you can receive if you have financial need and meet other eligibility criteria. You can't accept more need-based aid than the amount of your financial need.

The following are examples of federal non-need-based student aid programs: