Billing Questions

How can I get my bills to my parents or others?

You can provide permission to any third party to view your bills and make payments through Student Account Suite. To give consent to others, click on Authorized Users and follow the prompts. If you decide later that you no longer want that person to have access, you can delete them. They will even receive emails just like you do when bills are generated.

Can my bills be mailed to my parents?

Fort Lewis College no longer sends out paper bills. However, you can give your parents or others permission to access your account through Student Account Suite. See "How can I get my bills to my parents or others?" for additional information.

How is my tuition calculated?

Fall and Spring Terms:

Those students registering for 11 credit hours or less will be charged by the credit hour (in-state or out-of-state). Students who take between 12 credit hours up to and including 18 during either the Fall or Spring term will be charged full tuition based on the current tuition rates. Fees are per credit hour. Students registering for more than 18 credit hours will be assessed an additional charge per credit hour. Please refer to the current Tuition and Fee Schedule to calculate your tuition and fees. In-state residents: also see "What is the College Opportunity Fund" to lower your final costs.

Summer Term:

All Students registered for any five-week Summer Session will be charged per credit hour for tuition and fees (in-state or out-of-state). Please refer to the current Tuition and Fee Schedule to calculate your tuition and fees.

What methods of payment can I use to pay my bill?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express online ONLY through Student Account Suite. A service fee of 2.85% is on all card transactions for student accounts. We accept cash, personal check, money orders, or cashier's checks at the Skyhawk Station or by mail, but don't send cash in the mail! You can pay with VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, or Electronic Funds Transfer (ACH) transaction through Student Account Suite by logging in to theFort. Payment plans are available for the Fall and Spring terms once the billing has been issued, also through Student Account Suite.

When do I pay, and how much?

Payment of the total amount due or set up of a Payment Plan along with the first installment by the published Census Date. Census Date is approximately two weeks after the start of the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. A $200.00 late fee will be assessed on balances greater than $1,000 after Census Date.

How will I get my bill?

A student billing email is generated to the student's email address approximately four weeks before the start of Fall and Spring terms indicating that a new statement has been generated and is available for viewing and giving instructions on how to access the statement. PLEASE NOTE: The College will not send a paper bill. Any change to the amount due will cause a new email to be sent. Billing emails for Summer sessions will be sent approximately two weeks before the start of the session. The student is responsible for payment of all charges, including tuition, fees, room, and board. Viewing and paying bills is available for parents or others through Student Account Suite.

Can I get financial aid?

You may be eligible for scholarships, grants, loans, or student employment. The first and most crucial step is to complete an application early. Go to Financial Aid for more information.

How does my financial aid get applied to my bill?

In most cases, the student's financial aid each term will be automatically credited when the student confirms full-time enrollment (at least 12 credit hours). Any funds awarded more than the direct charges due and payable to the institution will generally be made available to the student at the beginning of the term.

Checks for excess financial aid funds will be available on the first day of class if the student registers early as a full-time student. Aid will not be processed until the student's financial aid file is complete. are available through Student Account Suite and will allow the funds to be in the eRefund account before the start of school as long as the student has correctly set up the account and his/her enrollment.  

Financial Aid is applied as it is awarded and received. You must accept your financial aid electronically on your account.   Go to Financial Aid for more information.  

When financial aid exceeds the amount of institutional charges, a refund will be made available. The initial refund is created for the student when all aid credits simultaneously. If the Federal Direct Parent Loan disburses after other aid has been credited, a refund will be produced for the parent borrower unless designated otherwise on the Federal Direct Parent Loan promissory note.

Credit Card

Credit Card Procedures and Frequently Asked Questions

  1. The Student Billing Office cannot accept credit or debit card payments for charges on a student account in person or over the phone. Credit and debit card payments can be made via the TouchNet PayPath Payment Service through our student billing website.
  2. TouchNet will assess and collect a non-refundable service fee of 2.85% (minimum charge of $3) that will be included in the total payment amount. This fee will be charged at the time of processing.  You will see two transactions on your credit card or bank statement; one for the service fee and another for the amount paid towards the student account.
  3. Online payments using an electronic check (ACH) will continue to be available at no additional cost.
  4. A refund for a purchase charged to a credit card must be reimbursed to the credit card account charged for the purchase.

What is TouchNet?

TouchNet is the third-party vendor with whom Fort Lewis College has contracted to provide secure online payments and to process online credit and debit card payments on student accounts.

Why are we using a third-party vendor

FLC can no longer afford to absorb credit card processing fees.  Although some colleges and universities have chosen to no longer accept credit or debit cards, we determined it would be a disservice to our communities if we eliminated them altogether. The vendor, TouchNet, has the expertise in online payment systems to meet all security and privacy issues and meets the banking and credit card industry compliance requirements.

How was the 2.85% (min. $3) service fee determined?

The service fee amount is determined by our vendor, TouchNet. The service fee is charged and collected by TouchNet.

Are other colleges and universities making similar changes?

Yes.  Most institutes of higher education in Colorado charge a service fee for paying student account charges with a debit or credit card.

Can I pay my student account charges with a credit or debit card?

Yes.  American Express, Discover, Visa and MasterCard can be used to pay student account charges online. If you use a credit or debit card to pay your bill, a 2.85% (min. $3) service fee will be charged by and payable to TouchNet. You will not be charged a fee if you pay online using an electronic check (ACH).

Debit cards may be used as a credit card with the 2.85% service charge or as an electronic check with no additional charge. Do not use the number on your debit card as your checking/savings account number – you will need to use your actual checking/savings account information with your bank’s routing number. Please contact your bank to confirm these numbers before making a payment.

Student Fees

Where does the money for student fees go?

Student Activities

  • Arts
  • Athletics
  • Career Services
  • Club Sports
  • Health/Counseling Center
  • Outdoor Pursuits/Intramurals
  • Student Activities
  • Student Life Center
  • Student Union Building
  • Sustainability Initiatives
  • Technology

For more detailed information for Fall, Spring and Summer Term assessments, please refer to the current Tuition and Fee Schedule.

Is every student assessed student fees?

Yes, every student is assessed the general fees whether they are considered resident or non-resident. You can review the current student fees on our Tuition & Fees page.

I have the Native American Tuition Waiver...does that cover my student fees?

No, the waiver covers tuition but not student fees, housing, or meal plan.


I need to withdraw from all my classes. What do I need to do?

Students who are registered for classes and decide not to attend have the responsibility to cancel classes before the first day of the relevant term or summer session. Non-attendance does not constitute cancelation.To cancel your classes, follow the instructions at WITHDRAW.

If a student experiences problems with any of the above process, he/she must contact the Skyhawk Station immediately. 

Skyhawk Station, RM 160

If you have signed a housing contract, it must be canceled separately. Contact the Housing Office at 970-247-7503

What happens if I do not withdraw before the start of the term?

After the first day of the term and up to census date, there would be 0% of the tuition and fee charges due. After census, the percent of charges increase for tuition and fees. Please refer to the refund policy for guidance.

Housing and meal plans are on a prorated schedule, meaning students are charged for the amount of time they have occupied the space. It is in the student's best interest to make the decision to follow all of the procedures.

Tax Questions / 1098T Questions

If I receive a scholarship or grant, is it taxable?

If you receive a scholarship or grant to pay some, or all, of your expenses to attend Fort Lewis College, the scholarship or grant may or may not be taxable income to you for your federal income tax purposes. Generally, the amount will not be taxable if you are a degree candidate and the amount was used to pay tuition, mandatory fees, or books, supplies, and equipment required for your courses. Generally, the amount will be taxable if it was used to pay other expenses such as room and board.

For more information, read IRS Topic 421, Scholarships and Fellowships, available at:

What is a 1098T?

The 1098T is a form used to report eligible expenses for possible education tax credits.

What are qualified tuition and related expenses for the education tax credits?

In general, qualified tuition and related expenses for the education tax credits include tuition and required fees for the enrollment or attendance at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including colleges, universities and trade schools). The expenses paid during the tax year must be for: an academic period that begins in the same tax year or an academic period that begins in the first three months of the following tax year.

How can I get my 1098T?

The 1098T can be found by going to Webopus, selecting Student Service, and then My Billing Information.

I did not receive a 1098T in the mail...why?

If the amount of the balance on the account was less than the amount the student received for grants and scholarships, Fort Lewis will not mail a 1098T because the student will usually not be eligible for the tax credit. The student can, however, go to Webopus and print the 1098T for the correct tax year if they wish.