To provide the opportunity for low-income and potential first generation students to advance their education beyond a high school diploma.
What Is Upward Bound?
Click HERE to view our informational video
- A competitive college preparation program for high school students.
- A federally funded TRiO Program hosted by Fort Lewis College.
- Free and voluntary to those who qualify.
UB Students Are Expected To:
- Attend school regularly.
- Maintain a 2.5 grade point average.
- Attend all parent and student meetings.
- Attend the six-week summer academy at Fort Lewis College
Who Can Be In Upward Bound?
In order to apply for the Fort Lewis College Upward Bound Program, students must be:
The History Of Upward Bound
Upward Bound, the oldest of a series of programs known as TRiO Programs, was created as part of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s “War on Poverty”. Specific legislation for the program was initially authorized under the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 and later moved to be included under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. This legislation which authorized the TRIO programs sought to provide educational opportunity for all Americans regardless of race, ethnic background or economic circumstance.