Tips on How to Help your Student Succeed
- Get your student's school log in and check their grades weekly in order to help your student identify classes they may need help in before those classes become a problem
- Encourage your student to participate in service learning, leadership, and volunteer activities
- Check in regularly with your student about what they are working on with their TRIO advisor
- Provide encouragement and support, and make sure that your child understands that grades are very important
- Realize that it is your student’s responsibility to get homework done, prepare for tests, and follow school rules
- Help your student select appropriate courses (rigorous curriculum, see student checklist for details)
- Explore and discuss college options. Talk with your student regularly about their plans after high school.
- Stay in contact with your student’s TRIO advisor and make sure your student attends UB activities throughout the year
- Expect your student to be in school, on time, every day
- Attend open houses and parent conferences
- Limit your student’s screen time
Read more tips for parents by downloading the checklist that matches your student's year in school! Links to all the checklists are listed on the right of this page under Important Documents.