The old fort
There are references to a dairy herd at the "old Fort" as early as the Indian School days. In an effort to keep the Indian School open, Durango citizens suggested that the state build a creamery and sell milk, cheese and butter to support itself.
On June 18, 1911, the herd was bolstered by the addition of twenty pedigreed Holstein dairy cows from the former Teller Indian School at Grand Junction.
This first picture was obviously taken in an older wooden milking parlor
This was taken in the "new" dairy barn that was added on. The picture was taken looking North.
This picture was taken looking South in the new dairy barn.
Some records indicate that the new dairy barn was added on to the food storage building in 1923.
Photo courtesy of Fort Lewis College Center of Southwest Studies
Duane "Fergie" Ferguson (41-43, 45-48) separates milk.
Fort Lewis had an active dairy until 1956 when the college was moved to town