New mask update, effective March 7
March 1, 2022
Fort Lewis College will no longer require masks in classrooms and other indoor spaces beginning March 7.
Throughout the pandemic, we have attempted to balance safety with learning and the quality of the student experience. FLC values and cares about a sense of belonging and connection. Given the diminishing threat posed by the current variant and our interest in creating the best possible student experience, masks will be optional indoors, beginning next week.
Given our conversations with local and state experts, low transmission and positivity rates, and an exceedingly high vaccination rate, we can (literally) peel back a layer of COVID mitigation and go mask optional indoors.
A few really important things to remember:
- If you are sick, stay home and limit your connections.
- For a variety of reasons, you may see many members of our community still wearing masks. As we have done throughout the pandemic, please be respectful and understanding of your peers and colleagues.
- KN95 masks are still readily available at the Student Union Info Desk.
- The COVID vaccine/booster requirement is still in effect. Students who have yet to receive their booster must still get their shot as soon as they’re eligible and come into compliance with our policy.
- Weekly testing is still required for anyone who has a vaccine/booster exemption.
- Daily use of the FLC App to check for symptoms is still required; health passes are required for in-person engagement on campus.
For me, this transition feels hopeful and exciting. However, I recognize that everyone is in a different place. We need to proceed with respect for one another as we are all still in this together. Thank you for your continued commitment to caring for our community.
Fort Lewis College