Activate your VA Benefits at Fort Lewis College

Veterans Affairs and higher education institutions like Fort Lewis College collaborate to administer education benefits through the VA and the GI Bill®. GI Bill® is the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) registered trademark. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

This process can be complicated. Email the FLC VA Certifying Officials at for help at any time during this process.

VA Benefits Checklist

Make sure you are eligible

You must have applied for VA benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility, or COE, in the mail or email.

Upload your documents

To begin your initiation of benefits, provide the Registrar's Office with the following documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Service Members DD214 or SSN
  • Joint Services Transcript for JST service members to receive military credit
  • FERPA waiver (optional but recommended)

Submit VA documents

Once you have submitted the required documents, the School Certifying Official will complete your intake and create an Enrollment Manager profile for you, the portal we use to report credit hours to the VA.

Register for classes

Skyhawk Station advisors can help you with the registration process. FLC VA Certifying Officials can help you understand payments and how credit loads impact your benefits.

Complete the VA Certification Request

Fill out the VA Certification Request form below. Reminders are sent out every two weeks until it is received. You must complete this form every term.

The School Certifying official will review your credits and ensure they are certifiable (applicable to your degree plan) and submit an Enrollment Report to the VA that includes all certifiable credits (student will be notified if any courses can’t be certified and provided viable solutions)

Receive payments on the first of the month during the school term

  • Payments are paid one-month retractive (e.g., August BAH will be delivered on September 1)
  • Payments are prorated for the number of days during the month. (if school starts August 15th student will receive housing for the 15th-31st)
  • Payments will be delayed if credits are not certified at least 30 days before the start of the term.

VA Certification Request Form

Submit the Certification Request form each semester after registering for classes to keep your VA benefits active.


Contact us

Skyhawk Station

Phone: 970-247-7301
Drop-in: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday - Friday

Securely upload documents

Veteran Contact

FLC's VA Certifying Officials contact


Veterans Affairs

Phone: 888-442-4551