Eligibility requirements to keep financial aid

You must meet specific requirements to be eligible for financial aid, such as:

  • United States citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Admitted to Fort Lewis College
  • Enrolled in a degree-seeking program, certificate program, or the Teacher Licensing Program
  • Not in default on a student loan or owe an over payment of a federal grant

You certify the following when you complete and sign the FAFSA:

  • The information provided on the FAFSA is accurate and complete
  • All aid funds will be used for direct and indirect educational expenses only.
  • You will not receive a Federal Pell Grant at more than one school for the same time period.
  • The Secretary of Education has the authority to verify information on the FAFSA with the Internal Revenue Service.

Eligibility and events that affect your financial aid

Part-time students 

Part-time students may qualify for a reduced Federal Pell Grant. A student enrolled in at least six credit hours per term may also be eligible for Federal Direct Loans. Part-time students must be degree-seeking or enrolled in the Teacher Licensing Program to qualify for financial aid. 

If the student attends less than full-time, the Federal Pell Grant adjusts accordingly. 

Post-Baccalaureate students 

Students accepted to FLC who have already earned a bachelor's degree have limited Federal Direct loan and Parent PLUS loan funding (if the student is a dependent student for FAFSA purposes).

Repeated coursework 

Students can use financial aid for repeated coursework. There are limitations: 

  • Failed and withdrawn courses can be repeated with financial aid coverage multiple times until a passing grade is received
  • Courses completed with a passing grade may be retaken only once to be covered by financial aid
  • Any additional repeats will not be eligible for financial aid
Summer enrollment 

Due to fund limitations, financial aid for those attending Summer is generally limited to Federal Pell Grant and Direct Loan programs. 

Suspension from financial assistance

Students suspended from financial assistance are not eligible to receive Federal, state, or need-based institutional aid, including Federal Direct loans and Parent PLUS loans. Student can still receive the Native American Tuition Waiver and apply for private student loans when on financial aid suspension.

Title IV funds (federal student aid)

Eligibility requirements to keep Title IV funds (federal student aid)

To avoid repaying federal student aid during the semester, students must attend courses, take exams, and complete required coursework.

No-shows, dropping, or withdrawing from courses can affect your eligibility to receive all your Title IV funds. It may require you to return some or all of it.

If you need to drop course or withdraw, contact your financial aid counselor at the Skyhawk Station.

Transfer students

If you transfer to Fort Lewis College from another post-secondary institution, your financial aid does not transfer with you.  

If you did not initially list Fort Lewis College on your FAFSA, add Fort Lewis College to your FAFSA online.  

If you and/or your parents have taken out loans, cancel them at the previous institution and re-apply through Fort Lewis College.

Undergraduate students

Undergraduate students are expected to graduate once they have met their program requirements. Students are no longer eligible for aid once they have completed their degree requirements.  

If the Financial Aid Office discovers a student taking courses not required for the degree, their financial aid recalculates based on the credit hours that meet their degree requirements.