A Message from President Dene Kay Thomas
Welcome to Fort Lewis College. As Colorado’s public liberal arts college, Fort Lewis is focused on preparing undergraduate students for success in an increasingly complex and competitive world.
How does a liberal arts degree prepare you for life? The answer is that a liberal arts education compels students to think beyond the borders of just their major. For example, our engineering students learn more than just engineering. They learn history, philosophy, communications and science, to name just a few disciplines. Such well-rounded students are exactly what graduate schools and employers are looking for in today’s world.
Don’t let the diverse education Fort Lewis College students receive mislead you, however. Our students are given the tools to become experts in their chosen field of study. The small class sizes at Fort Lewis College give students the chance to work closely with their faculty, experts themselves in what they teach. Consistently, our students praise the personal approach our faculty take as they guide their classes along toward success. Through classroom instruction, hands-on work and research, Fort Lewis College students are prepared for whatever the world might throw at them.
If you are wondering whether FLC is the right fit, please think about the following points. If these points are important, then this is the place for you.
- If you want a world-class education on one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation, Fort Lewis College is for you!
- If you want to have your pick of more than 100 majors, minors and certificates in four different schools, Fort Lewis College is for you!
- If you are interested in learning from the best professors in small classes where you’re more than just a number, Fort Lewis College is for you!
- If you want a diverse student body, Fort Lewis College welcomes all students of goodwill, and FLC's commitment to Native American education dates back a century.
- If you would like to live in Durango, a place ranked on Outside magazine’s “Best Outside Towns” list and named one of the “best adventure towns to live and play in” by National Geographic Adventure magazine, Fort Lewis College is for you!
It’s a great day at Fort Lewis College and I hope you will consider joining us as we move together into a bright future.
Dene Kay Thomas
President, Fort Lewis College