Veteran students

Fort Lewis College recognizes and honors the extraordinary contributions and sacrifices made by the members of the Armed Forces. We welcome veterans who wish to begin or continue their education at our campus in Durango, Colorado. We are working to help veterans make the transition from military life back into life as a civilian and a student. To learn more about applying to FLC, check out our Admission page. A number of resources and programs are available exclusively for veterans, including the Fort Lewis College Veterans Club.

VA Educational Benefits

New Veteran Students: Complete VA form 22-1990 (Application for Educational Benefits). This needs to be done as early as possible after you have been accepted by Fort Lewis College, as it takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks to process your claim.
Transfer Veteran Students: Complete VA form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training) and submit to the Veterans' Certifying Official at the Registrar's Office.
Dependent Students: Complete VA form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance).  This needs to be done as early as possible after you have been admitted into Fort Lewis College, as the minimum processing time for claims is 4-6 weeks.  When you receive notification your benefits have been approved, please provide the Veterans' Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office with a copy of the notification letter. This will provide the VA claim number, which must be used for any correspondence between the Registrar's Office and the VA.
Rehabilitation Students: You will need to contact the Veterans Administration at (800) 827-1000, which will connect you with the proper authority to determine if you qualify for benefits. Once you have been approved for benefits, you will receive VA form 28-1905 each term of enrollment. You will then need to submit this form to the Veterans' Certifying Official at the Registrar's Office.
General Information: Address changes with the VA can be made by calling (888) 442-4551. Please notify the Registrar's Office as well.  Any registration changes should be reported immediately to the Veterans' Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office within 15 business days from the last date of attendance.  Failure to do so may result in an adjustment of reported hours back to the first day of the semester.  You will receive checks on a monthly basis, which will be payment for the preceding month of enrollment.  Chapter 30 students are required to verify their enrollment for the time period and number of hours indicated on the form via WAVE at in order to be paid.  Chapter 30 students may also phone in this information at (877) 823-2378.
For information on how to apply for educational benefits, or if your enrollment status has changed, please contact the Veterans Certifying Official at (970) 247-7399 or visit the Registrar's Office.
You may check the status of your Veterans’ benefits by calling (888) 442-4551. This is an automated phone system which allows you to check your status. You may also ask questions via the VA Education Benefits website at

Fort Lewis College Veterans' Club

The Fort Lewis College Veterans Club exists to give veterans a community of friends that understand what being in the military is all about. Any veteran from any branch of service is welcome to join. The Club routinely holds meetings and sponsors events. For more information, please contact Lindsay Reichert-Noisom.

Click here to subscribe to the Veteran’s Club listserv.

veteran students