Applying for campus housing

After admission, your next step is to explore our campus housing options. Choose from suite and traditional rooms, singles or doubles, apartment styles, gender-inclusive spaces, and Living-Learning Communities.

The application timeline

First-year and transfer student applications:

  • Opens March 6: Applications for first-year and transfer students are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, with room choice preferences considered.

Apply for Student Housing

  • February 5 - March 1: Submit your application within this timeframe to receive a room selection time slot in March.
  • March 2 - May 10: Submit your application within this timeframe to receive a room selection time slot for the week of May 20.
  • May 11 - June 28: Submit your application in this timeframe for a room selection time slot for the week of July 8.
  • After June 29: Applications received after this date will have their housing placements assigned by the Student Housing Office.

Frequently asked questions about campus housing & dining

Do all first year students have to live on campus?

Fort Lewis College requires all incoming first-time students to live on campus for two academic semesters (fall and spring) unless they meet one of the following exceptions:

  • they live with a parent or guardian within a 60-mile radius of the campus
  • they are 20 years of age or older
  • have previously lived in a residential school for at least a year (i.e., boarding school)
  • have prior military service
  • they are married or are a parent

All exemption requests must be submitted in writing and approved by the Director of Housing. If you apply for on-campus housing and are housed for the fall term and you do not request an exemption, you are obligated to reside on campus for the full academic year. You can submit your exemption request online.

Can I tour campus and residence halls?

Campus tours are arranged through the Office of Admission and Advising at 970-247-7184. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to offer tours of all residence halls and apartments.  Check out the College's Virtual Tour.

What is the difference between the rooms in the traditional style halls and the 2 or 3 bedroom suites?

In the traditional halls (Camp, Crofton, Escalante), there are several bedrooms in a row (two students per bedroom), and residents go down the hall to a community style bathroom containing several showers, toilets and sinks (up to 30 students sharing the bathroom). A wall or a partition separates each toilet and shower. In a suite there are two bedrooms (two students per bedroom) joined by a shared bathroom (4-5 total students sharing the bathroom).

Are there community kitchens in the residence halls?

West Hall, the Bader/Snyders, and Animas Hall have community kitchens with full facilities. Residents may arrange to use the kitchen through their Resident Assistant, and are responsible for cleaning up after themselves.

Do I have cable TV hookups, phone?

Each room in the residence halls and apartments has Ethernet ports, Cable TV access, and wireless internet. The main lounge for each building also features Cable television. Each suite in Animas Hall has a TV in the living room. Each building features a courtesy phone in the lounge area for local calls.

Each residence hall/apartment complex has a computer lab with computers and a printer. Labs are open during most of the day; times will be set by staff in that building once the school year begins.

How often does my room get cleaned?

Your room gets cleaned as often as you and your roommate want to clean it. The community bathrooms and public areas are cleaned every day and the suite bathrooms are cleaned once a week. Apartments are only cleaned after the residents move out.

Notice: During the 2021-22 Academic Year students are expected to abide by the FLC Together Pledge, and clean their rooms every day. Cleaning supplies will be provided for each room. Due to Covid-19, community bathrooms and common areas in the residence halls will be cleaned frequently to reduce risk of exposure of the virus.

Does the college offer Gender Inclusive Housing on campus?

Gender Inclusive Housing is available to students who request it.  Feel free to review our Gender Inclusive Housing FAQ page at for more details.

What is an RA? RD?

Your RA (Resident Assistant) is a student living in the hall that plans programs, assists students in their transition to college, and enforces rules for the benefit of the community.

Your RD (Residence Director) is a full time professional staff member who lives in the halls or apartments, supervises the RAs, acts as a resource for students, builds and maintains community, and enforces rules and regulations.

Are the residence halls and apartments furnished?

Each residence hall room and apartment is furnished, as are the lounges. Each residence hall room has one bed, desk, desk chair and wardrobe/closet/dresser per student. West, Animas, Camp, Crofton, Escalante, Mears, Centennial, and bedroom spaces in the Bader/Snyder suites are carpeted. Cooper Hall bedrooms are not carpeted. Additionally, apartments (only) are furnished with a refrigerator, oven/stove, dining table, chairs, loveseat and end table. No kitchenware or utensils are provided. All furniture is inventoried by the College. All items must stay within the room, apartment or lounge. Violation of this policy will result in the student responsible being charged for the cost of moving or replacing the furniture.

Each room and apartment is furnished with one telephone line including local telephone service (you may bring your own telephone or contact staff in your building to borrow a telephone). Students are provided with their own private voice mail accounts. Long distance calls may be made by using a calling card. Each building features a courtesy phone in the lounge area for local calls. All rooms and apartments have one Ethernet port per resident, as well as wireless internet access.

What is a recommended move-in list?

Can I bring my own furniture?

Many students choose to bring bookshelves, side tables or other small items, however, other furnishings will likely not fit in your room. College-owned furnishings cannot be stored outside of the room.

Can I bring a microwave and refrigerator?

Each suite in Animas Hall and Bader-Snyder Complex comes with a microwave and mini-fridge. In other halls, students may bring one refrigerator and one microwave per residence hall room. Once you receive your roommate information, you may want to contact him/her to determine who is bringing what items. Microwaves must be less than 1.0 cu. ft. and refrigerators less than 4.6 cu. ft. In addition, residence halls have a microwave available to students in the lounge or office area. Many other appliances, such as those with open coils, portable air conditioning units, and dish washing machines are prohibited.

Am I allowed to "loft" my bed?

Loft kits for Camp, Crofton, Escalante, Cooper, Animas, West, and the Bader / Snyders may be requested through respective building staff. All loft kits will be provided on an “as-available” basis.  The College begins to take requests on Fall Check-In day, first-come, first-serve. Students who have a loft kit installed in their room will be billed $25.00 to their student account. Residents may request staff assistance with lofting or un-lofting their beds.  Lofts are currently not available for Centennial or Mears Apartments. Residents are not permitted to construct lofts or obtain them from other sources.  Residents may also request bunkable beds kits if lofts are not available. All existing furniture must remain present in the assigned room after lofting or bunking.

Is there a curfew and are there "bed-checks"?

No to both questions. We do recommend that students inform their roommates, family, or housing staff if they are going to be gone for extended periods of time outside of normal breaks.

When do the residence halls close for break?

All residence halls will be closed during Winter Break but remain open during both Thanksgiving and Spring Breaks. Students will need to find an alternate place to stay during the closure period, but are permitted to leave their belongings in their rooms if returning for the Spring Semester. The apartment complexes will remain open during the Winter Break.

Do you offer break period housing?

Student Housing will remain open over Thanksgiving and Spring breaks, however the residence halls close for Winter Break. Students who live in the residence halls will need to coordinate alternative housing over the Winter Holiday break. We offer Summer Housing in the Mears Apartment Complex. Please refer to Summer Housing for more information.

When will I hear about my room assignment?

Student will receive their building assignment early to mid-June. Within this email we notify students of their room assignment, roommate’s name and contact information. The College sends out a second email the first week in August which contains up-to-date housing placement information and detailed materials regarding check in.

Is there a place to do laundry? How much does it cost?

Laundry machines are located in the basements of Cooper, Escalante, Crofton, Camp, Bader A, Snyder A, and Mears Apartments, on each floor in West and Animas, and in the Centennial Service Building. 

The current cost is $1.25/load to wash and $1.25/load to dry. All laundry rooms are equipped with a card reader, allowing you to use your student ID and SkyCash to pay for laundry services. 

By logging into you can determine if laundry machines are available and by creating an account, you can arrange for text alerts regarding the status of your laundry.  You can also find out how to access the Laundryview mobile app.

Can I request a roommate?

Roommate requests are granted when space is available, the request is mutual and the requests are received at the same time.

If you know someone with whom you would like to room, the student housing staff will make every effort to assign students together if these instructions are followed:

Each housing application is filled out requesting the same type of accommodations and the same priorities;

  • The students request each other as roommates; and
  • The applications are submitted online (or mailed) at the same time to ensure that they receive similar priority dates.

What if I don't get along with my roommate or want to move into a different building?

The first person you should contact is your RA to inform them of your situation. The RA will try to mediate between the parties involved. If the mediation fails or if the situation is a friendly move, your first opportunity to move will be two weeks after school has been in session. Detailed information regarding room changes will be posted in the halls prior to the designated room change period.

What is the alcohol and drug policy?

Alcohol is not permitted in the residence halls, even if you are of legal drinking age. Alcohol may be permitted in the apartments if the resident is 21 or older. Persons caught violating this rule are subject to disciplinary sanctions that may include removal from housing and the College. Illegal drug use could result in the removal from the residence halls and possibly the College. Marijuana odor is sufficient cause for disciplinary action. Whether participating or not, being in the presence of either alcohol or illegal drugs may result in disciplinary action.

Am I allowed to smoke in my room?

Fort Lewis College is a smoke / vape free campus. Commercial smoking, vaping and the sale and use of tobacco products, vaping products, e-cigarettes, and hookahs are prohibited in all College owned buildings and grounds.

Can I have a pet?

Only fish in a 10-gallon or smaller aquarium are permitted in the residence halls and apartments. Due to health standards, limited space, and students with allergies, all other pets are not allowed in the housing facilities.

Where can I store my bike?

Several residence halls have bike racks located outside the building where you can lock your bike, or you can keep your bike in your room. Talk with your roommate(s) about storing your bike in your room as it may take up space. We encourage you to lock your bike up whenever you are not present. Never leave your bike in stairways or hallways.

Can I bring a car and where can I park?

All students are allowed to bring a car, and all vehicles parking on campus must have a current parking permit (available at the Cashier’s Office or Police & Parking Services Office).  Permits are available for the full academic year or by semester.  No parking permit is required during the summer.  Please note: No one may park in fire lanes or metered areas while unloading; violators will be ticketed.  Please visit the Police and Parking Services website for additional information.

Is there public transportation?

The City of Durango runs a shuttle program called the ‘Durango Transit’ to the College and through most of the city, the mall and Wal-Mart. Riding is free for FLC students with a valid ID. There are also several trails going down the hill from campus where you can walk downtown in 10-15 minutes.

How do I sign up for my meal plan?

Students assigned to a residence hall will automatically be signed up for the 19-meal plan when they are assigned their housing. They may change to the 14 or 10-meal plan through their WebOPUS account until Census Date. Since you don’t have a kitchen in your residence hall room, students living in all residence halls are required to have a meal plan. Apartment residents are not required to have a meal plan, but may add one through WebOPUS. Dining Dollars are included with each meal plan. They can be used at any food service location and cannot be purchased separately. SkyCash is money that is applied to a student's Fort Lewis College ID card so that the student may use it as a debit card at any food service location. For additional information and meal plan options, please contact Campus Dining and/or the SkyCard Service Center.

What if I have a food allergy?

If you have a food allergy, intolerance, or special condition, you will find a supportive menu and staff committed to helping your achieve your dietary goals. Please contact the General Manager at Campus Dining located in room 75 of the Student Union or call 970-247-7605.

How do I get my mail?

Each on-campus resident is assigned a PO box in the Student Union Building. Once you arrive on campus, you will need to go to the Post Office window to get your combination for the box. Packages for new students can be mailed no earlier than two weeks prior to their arrival and will be stored in the Post Office.

How does printing work on campus?

College printers are conveniently located in each residential building as well as 40+ printers across campus:

  • You are given credit on your print account each semester.
  • Lab printing rates are 5 cents per B/W page and 15 cents per color page. Residential students save on color prints at 10 cents per page.
  • For the cost of an average printer, you can print 1,200 - 1,500 pages on the campus printing system.
  • You don't have to purchase ink cartridges or keep your own stock of paper.

Don't ruin the Internet for you or your neighbor. Desktop printers that have wireless direct printing capabilities often interfere with the Wi-Fi provided by the College.

Fewer unnecessary electronic devices means we use less electricity, helping the College save energy. We recommend you leave your printer at home and enjoy the convenience of the College's network printing.

Should I get property (renter's) insurance?

We suggest you look into getting property insurance, especially if you plan to bring items of extraordinary value. Many homeowners’ policies will not cover a student’s belongings at college. Please check with your insurance agency.

What if I need to cancel my housing?

Housing assignment cancellations (before taking occupancy) must be made, in writing, to the Student Housing Office. Applicants who cancel their housing application housing prior to July 1 (Dec 1 for spring term) will be refunded their housing deposit. Those received between July 1 (Dec 1) and August 1 (Jan 1) will forfeit the entire $150 housing deposit. After August 1 (Jan 1), applicants cancelling their housing will forfeit the entire housing deposit and incur a $250 Late Cancellation penalty. No cancellations will be taken by telephone. You may also fax your cancellation to the Housing Office at 970-247-7501. Please include your full name, ID #, signature and reason for cancellation. Please note, once students accept occupancy by commencing check-in procedures (accepting the check-in form and room key for the assigned apartment or room), they are not eligible to cancel their housing unless they officially withdraw from the College.