Teach your passion

Learn how to lead your classroom with confidence, adaptable systems, and keen direction

Graduation cap against a white background

The FLC School of Education buzzes with enriching opportunities to learn from your peers, enthusiastic professors, and the myriad classroom experiences you’ll collect before graduation. You’ll not only earn 600 of the 800 hours of school-based field work required to receive your secondary education teaching license, but you’ll also grow as an individual empowered to chase your educational dreams.

Suzanne Null, Associate Professor of Education

"This major is a wonderful route to getting your K-12 teaching license because the department is adaptive to your individual needs and teaches you about education in an honest and true way."


Secondary Education majors

FLC Chemistry students teaching children about chemistry

Combine your passion for one of these subjects with your dream of guiding the next generation to discover their own passions.

Get your secondary education major in one of these areas:

  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • English
  • History
  • Mathematics


  • Roadmap for incoming first-year students
  • Roadmap for transfer students (junior-senior)
Roadmap for incoming first-year students

To pursue a K-12 & secondary education degree, you'll start by declaring one of these majors when you're admitted to FLC:

  • English – English major
  • Math - Math major
  • Science
    • Biology major
    • Chemistry major
    • Biochemistry major
  • Social Studies - History major

Program Requirements

For a complete list of K-12 & secondary education degree program requirements please see the course catalog.

Roadmap for transfer students (junior-senior)

Your first step will be to meet with an Admissions Counselor, who can help with initial course planning. At this time, the FLC Registrar will review your transcript to determine which credits from your prior school can transfer here. To research what courses will be accepted:

When you have been accepted to FLC, you will be assigned a faculty advisor in your first semester. Contact the Teacher Education Department to set up a meeting. If you want to be a Music teacher, also contact the Music Department.

Program Requirements

  • Junior
    • Plan to either enroll in the Master of Arts in Education: Teacher Licensure program after your senior year or take 400 level education courses and upper division specific discipline courses according to your majors’ map to graduation.
    • Register for the Content Test in your content area in the Fall semester.
    • Pass the Content Test in your Spring semester.
  • Senior

For a complete list of K-12 & secondary education degree program requirements for transfer students please see the course catalog.